fooby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:44pm
post #1 of

I finally had my first class in Course 1 and we were asked to bring an iced cake and to choose between the rainbow cake and flower cake design. Although they are both cute, I had to ask my teacher if I could use another design. To my delight, she said yes! I am attaching a pick of it to get feedback if this is okay for a Lesson 1 design or if it might be too much in terms of detail etc.

All feedback would be much appreciated.
LL

22 replies
HeatherMari Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:52pm
post #2 of

I don't think that is too much for a Course 1 cake as long as you do it with stars. I think that is what the first cake is kind of focusing on is practicing your stars.
Nice design though!
HeatherMari

weberm05 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:00pm
post #3 of

I think that design will be nice and it will probably be pretty simple....if you just take your time and be careful and use the star tip. Good luck

psurrette Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:00pm
post #4 of

that will be fine! bring your icing already colored to save time. make sure its not too small for your cake.

notjustcake Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:38pm
post #5 of

I think it might take you too long, I found that rainbow cake time consuming but that's just me I was barely starting cake decorating

jessieb578 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:45pm
post #6 of

That's a great flower and I don't think too much for Course 1 at all!

jen1977 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:47pm
post #7 of

It may take a while with the details and different colors. Our instructor had us each bring in a cookie cutter of our choice, mark the design on the cake with the cutter, and fill it in with one color of stars.

psurrette Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:08pm
post #8 of

Although the cookie cutter idea is simple and easy to do, you are learning how to do a pattern transfer and using a cookie cutter doesnt teach that.
I would stick with you have chosen and keep in mind you might not finish it in the class.

nglez09 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:12pm
post #9 of

That's a really grooovy design. I couldn't imagine doing that in BC though, too much time and precision! icon_eek.gif But go ahead and tell us how it turns out, I bet the finished product will be great! thumbs_up.gif

Is the rainbow cake new or something? I don't ever remember making a rainbow cake in Course I. icon_confused.gif

SILVERCAT Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:48am

It all depends on your instructor. My instructor doesn't even give us enough time to finish the cake before the class is over. I end bringing my cakes home and trying to finish before everyone wants to dive into them! It is a great pattern, but you might want to take some of the smaller details out of it. Maybe make one petal of different colors. Good Luck!

fooby Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:22am

Thank you all for your inputs. I think I will stick with this. I will color my icing at home and make sure I have enough bags and couplers so I can finish quicker. Bummer that there is no sink to wash any of our tips in class. Does this mean I have to buy extra star tips for each color?! icon_surprised.gif

sarahe Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:03am

It depends, if you are just starting to get into cakes & decorating, then you might want to take out some of the shapes.

To save on time, it's best if you make the icing the colors you want before your class.

Hope this helps

Sarahe

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:47am

You will have around 30mins to decorate your cake. So it will depend on how fast you work.

Having your icing precolored and even prebagged will save you time, and give you more time to decorate. As far as having more than one 16, I think it helps save time. I always suggest to my students that they buy extras. Saves you time, even at home, so you don't have to wash the same time several times when working on a cake. If you don't want to buy more tips you can use the same one. You can use a toothpick to scrap some of the icing out, then after you put it on the next color, squeeze the icing out until it comes out in the new color.

SILVERCAT Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:36am

I would buy a few extra star tips! are you going to be having that many different colors on the cake? If you are than I would make sure that you have that many tips, to make sure things go quicker for you. Good Luck and enjoy the course.

fooby Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:43pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

I would buy a few extra star tips! are you going to be having that many different colors on the cake? If you are than I would make sure that you have that many tips, to make sure things go quicker for you. Good Luck and enjoy the course.




The rainbow design uses 4 colors so I figured I would also go with the same amount of colors. If it is too much, I an always change it to three and eliminate the smaller details of the design. I believe I will need the extra star tips since my stepdaughter loves to decorate with me. icon_smile.gif

fooby Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:48pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

Is the rainbow cake new or something? I don't ever remember making a rainbow cake in Course I. icon_confused.gif




The rainbow cake is in the Course 1 book.

So ladies, I decided to trim the design down to 3 colors and removed some of the small details. Attached is the revised design. Let me know what you think.
LL

fooby Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:50pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You will have around 30mins to decorate your cake. So it will depend on how fast you work.

Having your icing precolored and even prebagged will save you time, and give you more time to decorate. As far as having more than one 16, I think it helps save time. I always suggest to my students that they buy extras. Saves you time, even at home, so you don't have to wash the same time several times when working on a cake. If you don't want to buy more tips you can use the same one. You can use a toothpick to scrap some of the icing out, then after you put it on the next color, squeeze the icing out until it comes out in the new color.




I was thinking about prebagging my icing but was worried it might dry up but I will do it a few minutes before I leave. Thanks for the tip!!

BTW, cute dog icon_wink.gif

noreen816 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:55pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooby

Thank you all for your inputs. I think I will stick with this. I will color my icing at home and make sure I have enough bags and couplers so I can finish quicker. Bummer that there is no sink to wash any of our tips in class. Does this mean I have to buy extra star tips for each color?! icon_surprised.gif




I use the same star tip for all icing colors, but when I replace it I squeeze out the old icing until the new color comes out. It wastes a little bit of icing but it's good in a hurry.

fooby Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:01pm

Good Morning All,

I just wanted to let you guys know that my Course 1 design worked out fine. My instructor loved the design and the best part was I was able to finish the cake in class as well! I will post pics of the cake when I get home tonight. It was a fun, exciting and a nerve-wracking experience all rolled into one. Thanks to all your posts and tips, I got a lot of praises since my cake was the smoothest one in class LOL. Still need to work on my lettering/outlining and learn to relax and of course practice, practice, practice icon_razz.gif Got a whole bunch of icing to practice on, that's for sure! Thanks to everyone who helped me. You have the greatest support group in my life icon_lol.gif

Foo

P.S. The best praise I got was from a lady who said, "if I saw your cake in the store, I would buy it" icon_surprised.gif

fooby Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:28am

Here's the pic of the cake. Thank you all for your help!!
LL

weberm05 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 9:55am

I think it turned out very nice. It's a nice twist from the rainbow cake. You did a great job!

fooby Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:51am
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberm05

I think it turned out very nice. It's a nice twist from the rainbow cake. You did a great job!




Hey thanks!! Where in PA? I'm in Havertown icon_lol.gif

weberm05 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:54am

I'm more towards the East. I'm about 30 miles north of Johnstown!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%