Freezing Chocolate Cakes

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 11 Feb 2015 , 5:18am by Apti

 cakelove2105  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 1:37am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

 

I like to make my cakes ahead of time and  freeze them, However, I've never dared to freeze a chocolate cake, and I have to make one for this weekend and I'm kind of concern about the time I have available. Can I freeze a chocolate cake as well as other cakes? if so, is there an special way of doing it? is there a difference?

 

 

Thank you so much.

8 replies
 yortma  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 2:08am
post #2 of 9

I freeze chocolate cake (actually all my cakes) routinely.  I also freeze my frosting separately in deli containers- IMBC or SMBC - unflavored.  I defrost everything, flavor the BC and assemble the day before or day of depending on how much time I need.  Before freezing I level and tort, and wrap well on cardboard rounds.  That way they are ready to go when time is more critical.  Chocolate cakes I have frozen include Hershey's chocolate, Deluxe Devil's food(Softasilk), double chocolate cake (epicurious), and beyond buttercream's chocolate version.    HTH.  

 cakelove2105  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 2:46am
post #3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by yortma 
 

I freeze chocolate cake (actually all my cakes) routinely.  I also freeze my frosting separately in deli containers- IMBC or SMBC - unflavored.  I defrost everything, flavor the BC and assemble the day before or day of depending on how much time I need.  Before freezing I level and tort, and wrap well on cardboard rounds.  That way they are ready to go when time is more critical.  Chocolate cakes I have frozen include Hershey's chocolate, Deluxe Devil's food(Softasilk), double chocolate cake (epicurious), and beyond buttercream's chocolate version.    HTH.  

Thank you so much yortma :)

 Apti  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 3:11am
post #4 of 9

I've frozen lots of chocolate cakes and cupcakes.  No problem. 

 cakelove2105  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 3:26am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 
 

I've frozen lots of chocolate cakes and cupcakes.  No problem. 

thank you Apti, I feel even more confident about it now. Since cakes have different ingredients I hesitated it. Thanks a lot. :)

 Apti  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 3:31am
post #6 of 9

You are welcome.  A couple of years ago I gave myself a present; a used, upright, manual defrost freezer just for cakes and cake stuff.  I LOVE IT!  I purchased a MANUAL defrost on purpose so the automatic defrost cycle would not cause a problem if I left cakes or frosting or ingredients in there for a couple of months at a time. 

 

Although I hobby bake and do not sell goods, the convenience of having the freezer "when I need it" is a glorious thing.  It also allows me to store extra buttercream, filling, ingredients, shortening, etc. and  extend their shelf life. 

 

I've frozen all sorts of stuff!

 kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 3:41am
post #7 of 9

I have yet to find a flavor of cake that does not freeze well and I think I have tried all of them at one time or another.

 MBalaska  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 4:25am
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 
 

I have yet to find a flavor of cake that does not freeze well and I think I have tried all of them at one time or another.

 

agreed.  I freeze everything, white-yellow-chocolate-pumpkin-banana-fruit-carrot cake, cheesecake, pound cake, mud cake, cookies cupcakes, bread, rolls, quick breads, brownies, cupcakes  oh dang now I need a snack & a cup of hot coffee...........

 Apti  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 5:18am
post #9 of 9

MBAlaska~~Do you just put your stuff outside to freeze?   (heh heh heh)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%