Freezing Chocolate Cakes

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 11 Feb 2015 , 5:18am by Apti

cakelove2105 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 1:37am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I like to make my cakes ahead of time and  freeze them, However, I've never dared to freeze a chocolate cake, and I have to make one for this weekend and I'm kind of concern about the time I have available. Can I freeze a chocolate cake as well as other cakes? if so, is there an special way of doing it? is there a difference?

Thank you so much.

8 replies
yortma Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 2:08am
post #2 of 9

I freeze chocolate cake (actually all my cakes) routinely.  I also freeze my frosting separately in deli containers- IMBC or SMBC - unflavored.  I defrost everything, flavor the BC and assemble the day before or day of depending on how much time I need.  Before freezing I level and tort, and wrap well on cardboard rounds.  That way they are ready to go when time is more critical.  Chocolate cakes I have frozen include Hershey's chocolate, Deluxe Devil's food(Softasilk), double chocolate cake (epicurious), and beyond buttercream's chocolate version.    HTH.  

cakelove2105 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 2:46am
post #3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by yortma 

I freeze chocolate cake (actually all my cakes) routinely.  I also freeze my frosting separately in deli containers- IMBC or SMBC - unflavored.  I defrost everything, flavor the BC and assemble the day before or day of depending on how much time I need.  Before freezing I level and tort, and wrap well on cardboard rounds.  That way they are ready to go when time is more critical.  Chocolate cakes I have frozen include Hershey's chocolate, Deluxe Devil's food(Softasilk), double chocolate cake (epicurious), and beyond buttercream's chocolate version.    HTH.  

Thank you so much yortma :)

Apti Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 3:11am
post #4 of 9

I've frozen lots of chocolate cakes and cupcakes.  No problem. 

cakelove2105 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 3:26am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

I've frozen lots of chocolate cakes and cupcakes.  No problem. 

thank you Apti, I feel even more confident about it now. Since cakes have different ingredients I hesitated it. Thanks a lot. :)

Apti Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 3:31am
post #6 of 9

You are welcome.  A couple of years ago I gave myself a present; a used, upright, manual defrost freezer just for cakes and cake stuff.  I LOVE IT!  I purchased a MANUAL defrost on purpose so the automatic defrost cycle would not cause a problem if I left cakes or frosting or ingredients in there for a couple of months at a time. 

Although I hobby bake and do not sell goods, the convenience of having the freezer "when I need it" is a glorious thing.  It also allows me to store extra buttercream, filling, ingredients, shortening, etc. and  extend their shelf life. 

I've frozen all sorts of stuff!

kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 3:41am
post #7 of 9

I have yet to find a flavor of cake that does not freeze well and I think I have tried all of them at one time or another.

MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 4:25am
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

I have yet to find a flavor of cake that does not freeze well and I think I have tried all of them at one time or another.

agreed.  I freeze everything, white-yellow-chocolate-pumpkin-banana-fruit-carrot cake, cheesecake, pound cake, mud cake, cookies cupcakes, bread, rolls, quick breads, brownies, cupcakes  oh dang now I need a snack & a cup of hot coffee...........

Apti Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 5:18am
post #9 of 9

MBAlaska~~Do you just put your stuff outside to freeze?   (heh heh heh)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%