Buter Cream Technique

Decorating By JNeff64 Updated 9 Feb 2015 , 1:08pm by smysha

JNeff64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JNeff64 Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know how to do this that can explain and what type of tip does it require.

8 replies
CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 9

To me, it looks like a ribbon/ruffle rose. I would assume you could use a rose tip 104 or 106.  In almost the same technique as making a ruffle or ribbon, just start in the center and go around & around in a rose shape, with the fat part of the tip touching the cake. HTH

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 9

I tried to recreate something similar and came up with this. I used a rose tip 104 for it and piped dots in the middle but you could pipe further swirls on a flower nail and add them to the centre. The one you've posted looks like it could be fondant. In that case it would be long strips of fondant with one edge frilled rolled to make it look like a flower.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 1:20am
post #4 of 9

smysha, I think your buttercream cake with rose tip 104 looks better than the first one posted. I love the  aqua color on it. Do you have a picture of your cake from the top part? Would love to see the top also. Your cake is very beautiful looking!!

I agree that the first cake picture looks like fondant.    

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 11:59am
post #5 of 9

AI achieved this look with a 104 tip and by watching the tutorial from mycakeschool.com. I, nor my clients, are fans of fondant. So I will try anything from buttercream to achieve to looks I want![IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328250/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328251/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 9

Jan, Your cake rocks!! You did a fantastic job!! I think it looks great!!

I would rather have buttercream than fondant any day!!

smysha Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 9

@JanDunlevy - that is amazing! What tutorial did you follow? I would love to watch it and see how they did it.

@remnant3333 - thank-you though I prefer Jan's so much more! It was part of a tiered cake so the top of it was smooth. This is a picture I have of the whole thing before assembly: 

In hindsight there was too much going on in that cake! 

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 9

A@smysha, the video was on mycakeschool.com. It is a paid membership site but well worth the $30 a year. She has some awesome tutorials that are always very basic and simple to follow. This one was called buttercream ruffles I believe. She has great recipes and a blog as well.

smysha Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 9

Thank-you! It looks pretty good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%