Why Is My Fondant Doing This? ! Help!

Decorating By minicoopermel Updated 21 Feb 2015 , 11:49am by mmhassa2

minicoopermel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicoopermel Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 4

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3327678/width/200/height/400[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3327680/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I've never had this problem before. .. what am i doing wrong? Its like my buttercream slides down or something. Ughhh

3 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 4

AThe buttercream dam is starting to be pushed out. This can happen for several reasons... The cake didn't finish to settle before the fondant was put on it The fondant is a bit thicker than usual - which means it weighs more than usual - and the weight is pushing the buttercream out The top of the cake is resting a bit too much on the bottom tier (maybe supports are too short) causing additional weight on the bottom tier making the buttercream dam ooze

I have quit using buttercream under fondant covered cakes. I now use white chocolate ganache and this never happens.

minicoopermel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicoopermel Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 12:04am
post #3 of 4

A

Original message sent by cai0311

The buttercream dam is starting to be pushed out. This can happen for several reasons... The cake didn't finish to settle before the fondant was put on it The fondant is a bit thicker than usual - which means it weighs more than usual - and the weight is pushing the buttercream out The top of the cake is resting a bit too much on the bottom tier (maybe supports are too short) causing additional weight on the bottom tier making the buttercream dam ooze

I have quit using buttercream under fondant covered cakes. I now use white chocolate ganache and this never happens.

Wow really!! :) hmm I'll have to look up recipes for that instead of buttercream.

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 11:49am
post #4 of 4

I use swiss meringue buttercream for all my cakes and dont have the issue. I do agree about proper support but also once I add the frosting between layers I let it harden in the fridge for approx 10 mins and then add the top cake and then push it down firmly and then use a bench scraper for anything that comes out. Really helps each layer become well settled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%