How Do You Keep The Wire From Slipping Out Of The Petals?

Decorating By ellavanilla Updated 8 Feb 2015 , 3:32pm by JWinslow

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 19

seriously, HOW?

i haven't been able to keep the dang slippery wire from slipping out of the gumpaste petals that i've made, even if i put a tiny loop at the end. 

am i doomed to never have a big beautiful flower on one of my cakes? :ouch: 

18 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 19

I use paper coated wires and dip the end in some egg white.  I wipe off the excess on my wrist and insert the wire.  Works well for me.

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:01am
post #3 of 19

A

Original message sent by ellavanilla

seriously, HOW?

i haven't been able to keep the dang slippery wire from slipping out of the gumpaste petals that i've made, even if i put a tiny loop at the end. 

am i doomed to never have a big beautiful flower on one of my cakes? :ouch:  

So wish I could help, but I have the exact same problem! I did see a video this morning on you tube from global sugar art where he folded his wire twice (haven't been able to try yet). 1st fold was in the shape of a hook. 2nd fold was sideways. Hmm I didn't explain that very well did I, lol. I'll look for video & post it for you.

CookieNibz Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:04am
post #4 of 19

AMaking Lilies with the Martellato Plunger Cutter:

sannalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sannalee Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:17am
post #5 of 19

Have you tried the twiddle method? This is how I learnt to do it and have never had problems.

CookieNibz Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:42am
post #6 of 19

A

Original message sent by sannalee

Have you tried the twiddle method? This is how I learnt to do it and have never had problems. [URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvfHalj6Qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvfHalj6Qg[/URL]

That was awesome, thanks for sharing that! I don't have a double silicone impression mat, but think I can figure out something out with what I do have.

THANKS AGAIN! :)

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 3:30am
post #7 of 19

Dip your wire in egg white or gumpaste glue( I have a small jar with gumpaste and litle water, shake to liquefy)  wipe off excess you don't want it wet just damp. Insert the wire in petal or leaf and then at the bottom pinch the paste to the wire to taper at the same time seal. This tapering also fits the dry petals together neatly when assembling.

ellavanilla Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 19

in the category of totally timely, Jamie of Yuma Couture Cakes just created a tutorial for her giant flowers. I need this so much!

http://yumacouturecakes.ecwid.com/

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 19

AWow!

Her tutorials are very reasonably priced!

Where is Jamie, anyway? Has she left CC?

ellavanilla Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 19

i think she's been very busy.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 1:13am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettooth101 

Dip your wire in egg white or gumpaste glue( I have a small jar with gumpaste and litle water, shake to liquefy)  wipe off excess you don't want it wet just damp. Insert the wire in petal or leaf and then at the bottom pinch the paste to the wire to taper at the same time seal. This tapering also fits the dry petals together neatly when assembling.

Yes, that's what the ladies suggested on this thread about my gumpaste leaves....... The wires that I had too wet, just slipped right off the gumpaste.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 2:06am
post #12 of 19

I use paper covered wire, I dip them in tylose glue and wipe off the excess, insert the wire them I give it just a little pinch at the base to secure it. I rarely have wires come out and I do a lot of big flowers like lilies and peonys. 

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 6:14am
post #13 of 19

AAre you hanging them upside down? With certain designs the gumpaste is too heavy and the petal will slide off.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 19

APart of the problem may be the wires you are using. The paper covered ones are pricier but make a big difference.

galidink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galidink Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 19

your RIGHT Goreti ..

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 19

Use cloth or paper-covered wires, dip them in water or gum glue before putting them into the petals, Or do them like I do them which is fast and a lot easier than trying to stick a  wire up into a thin piece of gumpaste. This is included in the tutorials that I have on Etsy for gumpaste flowers, but this is the link for the free download on Craftsy.

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/other/how-to-wire-gumpaste-the-quick-way/124611

ellavanilla Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 19

coated wires was the info i was missing! thanks everyone!

Sweet Janis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Janis Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 19

I also use edible glue, and paper covered wires :-) xx

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 19

I use paper covered wires with gum glue and or egg white.  I find the egg white sticks a little better but as with all wired petals, too much glue will always cause problems even if you given them a good pinch at the base.
I don't hang petals upside down but rather set them in a former (apple tray).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%