How To Avoid Clients That Could Hurt Your Business

Business By MKC Updated 6 Mar 2015 , 2:26am by Mybearsbaby

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 11

I thought I would share this article...it summarizes a lot of the discussions here on CC. It applies to bakers or any business owners.

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/avoid-clients-that-could-hurt-your-business/

10 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 11

useful, thanks for sharing!

the expectant client reminded me of one who said, "just give me a price. if i don't like it, i will just negotiate with you."

LOL

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 4:38am
post #3 of 11

AGreat article! In respect of "baking from home" cake business I have plenty more to add: - The "Don't charge me (much) cause I'm your friends family and should receive free cakes all time" - The "If I invite you to my wedding / birthday / baby shower you can bring a cake, right?" Client - The "the cake was inedible but magically disappeared and i can't return it" client - The "I am not happy with the look of the cake, I wanted everything completely different. But since there is no Tim for changes I take it anyway. I expect a huge discount!!!" client - The "last minute orders, just wasting time for nothing orders" Shall I go on...LOL

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 5:31am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for posting the interesting article, MKC.  Since beginning hobby baking/decorating 5 years ago, I often get the "You should sell these!" compliments from people.   I graciously thank the person who offered a very nice compliment, and tell them, "I am retired and this is my hobby.  I do not sell cakes or chocolates.  If I had to do all of the marketing and business necessary to get paid a reasonable price for my goodies, it would no longer be a hobby; it would be working."

Thank God I don't have to "spot" trouble clients anymore......whew!   I had enough of that in 30 years of sales and marketing.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 11

When I got married 37 years ago, I just told the baker that anything with yellow flowers would be nice. I let her do whatever she wanted to do as long as it had flowers. She made an awesome 3 tier cake. I guess I just wasn't as picky as some of these customers that some of you have. I left it up to the experts and did not need to see any kind of design because I trusted the baker to make it look pretty!! 

ruellesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruellesmith Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 12:10am
post #6 of 11

Great advice being written on the article. I find it both interesting and enlightening. I learned more new things about business and how best to apply them. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendy M Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 11

AThank you for sharing. It brought back a memory of a very difficult customer I had years back. She called 6 months after her wedding to complain about the cake expecting a refund. Needless to say the refund didn't happen

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by remnant3333 

When I got married 37 years ago, I just told the baker that anything with yellow flowers would be nice. I let her do whatever she wanted to do as long as it had flowers. She made an awesome 3 tier cake. I guess I just wasn't as picky as some of these customers that some of you have. I left it up to the experts and did not need to see any kind of design because I trusted the baker to make it look pretty!! 

The marketing is vastly different from 37 years ago. Brides today have so much visual information available that wasn't back then. Magazines, internet, bridal shows - the planning is the 'fun' part of the wedding now.

Zeyneb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeyneb Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 11

AOne other very "important" client that I may add to the list is the "Magician Client No. 2" = client who suddenly disappears when they need to give you the details they want on their cake/cookies etc !

I am currently in such a situation. My client and I have closed the deal 1 week ago; shes chosen her cake (that needs to be altered around a a bit due to the fact that its not my own original design),and shes carried out her required amount of pre-payment but just hasnt given me a clue on what she wants her cake to taste like, what details she needs changing, what she wants her cookies to look like and a few other small but necessary details! And theres only a week till delivery. She hasnt emailed or called me for 1 week and Im just sitting here waiting !

She already was the "unpaying" magician client client when I had asked her to carry out the pre-payment, which took me about 3 emails and a week of patience. And now shes gone all hocus pocus on me with the details! Sheesh!

Am I impatient or is my client just careless?! :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 3:47am
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeyneb 

One other very "important" client that I may add to the list is the "Magician Client No. 2" = client who suddenly disappears when they need to give you the details they want on their cake/cookies etc !

I am currently in such a situation. My client and I have closed the deal 1 week ago; shes chosen her cake (that needs to be altered around a a bit due to the fact that its not my own original design),and shes carried out her required amount of pre-payment but just hasnt given me a clue on what she wants her cake to taste like, what details she needs changing, what she wants her cookies to look like and a few other small but necessary details! And theres only a week till delivery. She hasnt emailed or called me for 1 week and Im just sitting here waiting !

She already was the "unpaying" magician client client when I had asked her to carry out the pre-payment, which took me about 3 emails and a week of patience. And now shes gone all hocus pocus on me with the details! Sheesh!

Am I impatient or is my client just careless?! icon_smile.gif

You need to call her and tell her that unless you get the details within 24 hours you will have to assume that she doesn't need the cake and is forfeiting her deposit. She'll call you back fast enough.

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 2:26am
post #11 of 11

Love this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%