I Need Help With Some Cake Business Laws...

Business By CakeAffair22 Updated 14 Feb 2015 , 9:36pm by kakeladi

CakeAffair22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAffair22 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 6:04am
post #1 of 3

AOkay so in my state you can't use whipped cream as icing because of the refrigeration issue as a home baker. Is there a stable substitute for something like whipped cream that can stay out at room temperature? Dream whip, shelf stable UTP whipping cream? I haven't used these things and I don't know much about them or what else the market offers. I hope I worded this right. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! Xoxo

2 replies
leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 5:18am
post #2 of 3

I would look at "Bettercreme" whipped icing, and the cake supply shop near me has a powdered version that's very much the same.  I've also been able to buy it pre mixed from the grocery store bakery if they have it available.  I only use it for cookies and cream filling, so it's not very often I need it.  I can get the Bettercreme at the restaurant supply store in the freezer section, but it's available at my local cake supply store frozen as well, but at an exorbitant rate.  

It's non dairy and iced cakes are safe for 5 days at 80 degrees or below.  

The brand is Rich's Bettercreme, and a long time ago where I worked we used a similar product called "Baker's Cream"

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 3

Rich's Bettercreme is one.  Another is Frostin' Pride.  They are so similar one would hardly know the difference:)

Each has a 'shelf life' once on a cake of something like 3 days. (Altho I find it is much different tasting after the 1st day. Probably more of a mouth feel than actual taste :) )

You don't say where your located but they cannot be gotten in local supermarkets. 

Gordon's Food Supply is one that I know of.

They come (semi) frozen in cartons like a milk carton.  The directions will tell you to thaw in frig then whip but I have found it best to just spoon out  what one needs from the carton in it's 'frozen' state & whip.  That way you are not thawing and refz'ing over & or when you don't use it all at once - especially if you buy the 1/2 gal size & are doing only one cake :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%