Cottage Food Law

Business By ChefinTraining Updated 4 Feb 2015 , 2:57pm by ChefinTraining

ChefinTraining Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefinTraining Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 5

AI'm considering starting my own small business from home under the cottage food law. I was curious about insurance under this law. Does everyone get insurance? Or is it somehow included in it? Is it necessary to get? Thanks for any input!

4 replies
Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 5

I am a licensed CFO in California.  Insurance was not included or required to gain my licensing.  But the local markets require it for selling and the wineries and such require it so my products can be delivered and served for weddings  and other parties.  So I purchased Flip Insurance, which is 299 a year.  Search for the flip insurance and you can find it. HTH!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 5

I think in this day and age, if you're going to run a business and serve food, you'd better have liability insurance. 

I don't want to risk my personal assets when someone claims they got sick, or found a hair.  Just defending yourself is costly and insurance either covers, or at least defrays that cost.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 

I think in this day and age, if you're going to run a business and serve food, you'd better have liability insurance. 

I don't want to risk my personal assets when someone claims they got sick, or found a hair.  Just defending yourself is costly and insurance either covers, or at least defrays that cost.

Oh yes, 100% right.

ChefinTraining Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefinTraining Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

Good to know! Thanks for yalls input! :smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%