Create Rustic/simple Cake Around An Elegant Topper - Monique Lhuillier Waterford

Decorating By Decakenewbie Updated 2 Feb 2015 , 10:49am by Decakenewbie

Decakenewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Decakenewbie Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 4:43am
post #1 of 6

I am making my daughters wedding cake, she wanted simple rustic cake to go with the theme (reception is in a converted barn). I had planned, ivory colour with burlap ribbon/ brown string on a slab of rustic timber as the cake stand. Similar to this: 

A close family friend has gifted her a cake topper - Waterford's Modern Love, by Monique Lhuillier and my daughter has accepted.

I am a great copier, but have 0 creativity and need inspiration as I have no idea what to do with this.

It is beautiful, but its bright white, 7" and the limited images I have seen of it on a cake, the cakes are all very formal/blingy/structured cakes 4 to 7 tiers.

I have made 1 wedding cake before and am competent with fondant, but still am an amateur.

I was only planning on approx. 3 tiers- 2 foam with 1 real to cut.

6", 9" and 12"

Please if anyone has inspiration, of how to incorporate this with a simple / clean style  I can put this on. I would be eternally grateful.

5 replies
petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 6

If you could use white buttercream, that should help to coordinate the topper with the cake. You could make one of the tiers taller than the others, preferably as tall as the topper, to make the cake topper less conspicuous.

I can't really see the cake topper being too out of place otherwise. Pinterest can sometimes limit our design ideas so sometimes you have to try and look at your own cake from your own point of view :)

jamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamcakes Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe you could paint the topper?  Even distress it a little to give it that rustic look.  

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

AI think you could still do the cake as you envisaged, but how about one of the tiers having roses piped all over to tie in the bridal dress? Maybe just a simple satin or cross grain ribbon rather than burlap on the other two tiers. Kinda like when you go out, you can either dress a pair of jeans up or down, same with the topper.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 7:10am
post #5 of 6

I like jamcakes idea of painting the topper.  You could use egg white over the bride's gown and once dry, dust with petal dust or lustre dust colour of choice - be it ivory, burlap brown or vintage rose.  (then you can wash it all off before giving back to friend)

Maybe do a very large bottom tier, say 10-12".  Then do a 6" wide extended height/double barrel tier (say 1-2" higher than your topper) and offset it to the edge of your bottom tier.  Sit the topper on your bottom tier next to the double barrel tier.  Put roses on top of double barrel tier and have cascading foliage/roses fall down that double barrel next to the topper (like they were standing next to a cliff face or waterfall).  Hope that makes sense.   Do the roses in pure white & chosen gown petal dust colour to tie the colours in together.

Alternatively, instead of buttercream, you could do a swiss meringue which is super pure white.  

Decakenewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Decakenewbie Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 10:49am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, this has all been helpful. I have 0 creativity, but once described I think yeahhhhhhhhhh that might just work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%