Let The Debate Begin... ;) Scratch Vs Doctored Mix

Decorating By CookieNibz Updated 4 Feb 2015 , 1:22am by CookieNibz

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 23

I'm asking this because I haven't made enough scratch cakes to know if one is better than the other. I learned from Alton Brown that today's mixes are as good as the real thing, so I have always doctored my mixes. I suspect this could be a region preference, but not sure. In the south, where i am, people seem to prefer very dense, moist cakes (although I only bake for family & friends). My biggest problem however with mixes is they are not very sturdy & full of crumbs, but scratch recipes I have tried seem too dry. In scratch cakes defense, i have only made 2, & it could have been the recipe.

So let's settle this once & for all, Scratch cake or Doctored mix cake???

inquiring minds NEED to know :)

22 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 23

Athere is no clear answer to this -- both are liked -- not to mention the average non-cake person will identify a good cake as their favorite either scratch or mix when the opposite can be true -- this is a no win endeavor -- if you want more information do some searches here on this subject--

best to you

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 23

you're flogging the dirt that the horse is buried under... ;-)

http://www.cakecentral.com/newsearch?search=scratch+vs+box&=Search

CookieNibz Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 23

AI swear directly after posting this (as I hadn't been on "new posts" today) I saw someone else has posted a similar thread, lolol. I am reading through it now. Lots of reading to do, lots, lol. Thanks guys!!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 1:47am
post #5 of 23

AI thought this debate had been settled years ago. LOL

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I thought this debate had been settled years ago. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

As long as there are new members discovering the wheel, or bakers needing a bit of socializing, it will never be settled. :wink: 

CookieNibz Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 23

AI don't feel it's been settled at all, guess it can't be. The polls on CC say it's about 50/50. So guess there is no clear winner.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 23

AScratch. Always.

I would rather not eat cake at all than eat cake mix cake

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 23

I don't mind the ready mixes, in fact I like the texture. I just don't like what is added to give shelf life, so many ingredients you can't even pronounce some of them. I have always baked from scratch from the age of 12 and so have stayed with that, occassionaly maybe less than a dozen times buying a box mix just to see if I am missing anything.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 23

AOh no, not again!:cry:

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 23

Anot again....sigh....haven't we beaten this subject to death already?:cry:

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieNibz 

So let's settle this once & for all, Scratch cake or Doctored mix cake???

inquiring minds NEED to know :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieNibz 

I don't feel it's been settled at all, guess it can't be. The polls on CC say it's about 50/50. So guess there is no clear winner.

We're not necessarily looking for a winner. Just an end to the discussion. But I guarantee that's not going to happen. If you're still here in five years, you'll know what I mean.  :wink: 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I thought this debate had been settled years ago. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

As long as there are new members discovering the wheel, or bakers needing a bit of socializing, it will never be settled:wink: 

and just as importantly  people need to know that it's all good !!!!!  What ever you want to do is fine.  Whatever you love is AOK.  Both are good choices for a variety of sound reasons.

It's no different than the age old questions  of tremendous world shaking importance      

Coke or Pepsi    PC or Mac   McDonalds or Burger King    heels or flats  It's ALL GOOD ;-D
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 31 Jan 2015 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 23

AThe answer is.... whichever you prefer.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jan 2015 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 23

Not this again.  Stop, just stop.

CookieNibz Posted 31 Jan 2015 , 10:33pm
post #16 of 23

ASome of you need to realize not everyone gets to bake all the time, day in day out. Not everyone has been on this site forever & ever. I asked, because I already Google & got mixed reviews, so thought I would have better luck asking pros, or mostly pros, their opinions. I didn't think to run a search on CC before I asked, had no idea it had been discussed so much, so freaking sue me. If it irritates you so, feel free to keep scrolling, why stop to comment something negative. Smdh.

To the rest of the sweet ladies, THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts, it is appreciated. I assumed, probably like most hobby Bakers, that pros would have a clear cut winner, lol, I was wrong. Thanks again!

CookieNibz Posted 31 Jan 2015 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 23

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

and just as importantly  people need to know that it's all good !!!!!  What ever you want to do is fine.  Whatever you love is AOK.  [COLOR=000000][I]Both are good choices for a variety of sound reasons.[/I][/COLOR]

It's no different than the age old questions  of tremendous world shaking importance       [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Coke or Pepsi    PC or Mac   McDonalds or Burger King    heels or flats  It's ALL GOOD ;-D [/SPOILER]

That analogy was GREAT! Summed up the issue beautifully for me, gave me a different perspective, without being snippy! :) Thanks!

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 5:22am
post #18 of 23

AI know this topic has been debated to death, but just one thought for the OP. I have never seen anyone advertise that they make cakes from boxed mixes. That doesn't mean you can't make cakes from mixes that others will enjoy (especially since that is what a lot of people are used to eating). However, when people ask (and even as a hobby baker I get asked this question), they always seem a lot more impressed if the cake was made from scratch. I enjoy baking and I like the control over my ingredients that comes with baking from scratch, but each person is different.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 6:13am
post #19 of 23

On every forum no matter what it's about, the same questions are going to be asked over and over by new people. It's just the way it is. I've been on a dance forum for 10 years and there are a few questions that will ALWAYS be asked by new members constantly. I just ignore them or give a nice answer. There is no need to get snippy, especially when the question is asked innocently.

OP, I usually use box mixes, since I already have a full time job and I will save time wherever I can, and I just bake for friends and family who rave no matter what. I used to be a die-hard scratch person (not just baking but cooking as well) but getting married, working long hours, etc. has made me a little lazy. For instance, I would NEVER make mashed potatoes from a box before, but if I need to top a casserole for dinner after a 10 hr day I'll bust out the box.

Anyway, getting off topic. If time management is also an issue for you when making cakes, mix up your own batches of dry mix! I haven't done it in ages but there are a bunch of recipes online. Saves some time down the road and leaves out all the chemicals and preservatives.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 6:18am
post #20 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by drea88 

I know this topic has been debated to death, but just one thought for the OP. I have never seen anyone advertise that they make cakes from boxed mixes. That doesn't mean you can't make cakes from mixes that others will enjoy (especially since that is what a lot of people are used to eating). However, when people ask (and even as a hobby baker I get asked this question), they always seem a lot more impressed if the cake was made from scratch. I enjoy baking and I like the control over my ingredients that comes with baking from scratch, but each person is different.

Forgot to add, there is a specialty little cupcake shop (and I think they do cakes as well) across the street from the grocery store I work at. I know for a fact they buy cake mix from us in bulk, but they claim to bake from scratch when I went in and asked one day. So some bakeries may just be using cake mixes and lying about it, or consider doctoring it as making it "scratch"

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 7:11am
post #21 of 23

AWay too many people doctor up a mix and then call it scratch.

They think if they don't follow the box instructions exactly, and use add-ins such as extra eggs, SC, or even, Gd forbid, artificial flavored coffee creamer och a box of pudding mix (WTF is THAT all about, anyway? Adding fake food to fake food????) that it becomes a scratch cake.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 1:20am
post #23 of 23

A

Original message sent by Naivohw

On every forum no matter what it's about, the same questions are going to be asked over and over by new people. It's just the way it is. I've been on a dance forum for 10 years and there are a few questions that will ALWAYS be asked by new members constantly. I just ignore them or give a nice answer. There is no need to get snippy, especially when the question is asked innocently.

OP, I usually use box mixes, since I already have a full time job and I will save time wherever I can, and I just bake for friends and family who rave no matter what. I used to be a die-hard scratch person (not just baking but cooking as well) but getting married, working long hours, etc. has made me a little lazy. For instance, I would NEVER make mashed potatoes from a box before, but if I need to top a casserole for dinner after a 10 hr day I'll bust out the box.

Anyway, getting off topic. If time management is also an issue for you when making cakes, mix up your own batches of dry mix! I haven't done it in ages but there are a bunch of recipes online. Saves some time down the road and leaves out all the chemicals and preservatives.

Thank you for your patience :). I suppose since time is an issue for me I'll stick to what will work for me. Thanks so much for the tip to search a dry mix recipe! That is a splendid idea! Time saver but still from scratch! Wonderful! To be honest until I asked, this apparently dreaded question

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%