Question For The Pros: Smbc And Fondant

Decorating By Dr_Hfuhruhurr Updated 26 Jan 2015 , 9:21pm by Dr_Hfuhruhurr

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 4

I understand many bakers use SMBC or IMBC under fondant. I'm a big fan of SMBC (and IMBC, but SMBC is so much easier), but I always use ABC if I'm covering a cake in fondant. My concern is that fondant is heavy, and cakes must surely sag a bit once the SMBC softens up. Of course, since so many people seem to do it successfully, maybe my concerns are unwarranted.

So, my question is: When you use SMBC under fondant, how do you avoid messing up the cake once it's covered (and the SMBC thaws back out)? I'm imagining droopy edges, and finger impressions from where the cake gets bumped or moved, or decorations are placed, etc.

Does the fondant harden enough to keep the SMBC in shape? Or are you all just incredibly careful and perfect?

I think there is definitely a place for both SMBC and ABC in my life, but I'd love to try a fondant cake with SMBC.

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 4

you answered your own question -- yes the fondant dries a bit and firms up

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

and of course when you get smbc nice and cold it is as hard as butter so that's when i apply my fondant -- then i put mine tiers back in the fridge -- some of us leave them at room temp but the fondant firms up a bit and holds itself together -- for the record i've never been accused of being incredibly careful and perfect :-D 

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome, thanks k8!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%