Question About A Bc Transfer

Decorating By Jenni Updated 3 Mar 2005 , 2:33am by GHOST_USER_NAME

Jenni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 2:53am
post #1 of 7

In a buttercream transfer, do you thin the icing down before filling in the picture? If so, with what? Does the icing used to outline the picture need to be thin as well?
Thanks!

6 replies
sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 7

When I do my BC transfers, I use a medium - thick for the boarder and any lines you want to serperate colors and tehn I use a thin-medium to fill in the colors, if it is too thick it comes out looking lumpy and not smooth looking.
Good luck and make sure you post pics good or bad for us to see thumbs_up.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

I thin my BC down with milk- never water. I use a thin BC to fill in the areas. I use a very stiff BC to make the outlines.

AimeeA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeA Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:45am
post #4 of 7

If you do not mind me asking why not water to thin the BC?

Thanks
Aimee A

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7

I've never had luck with doing that. It curdles every time- instantly. and the milk will make a more smooth icing than the water will, in my experience.

Pinky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinky Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 1:34am
post #6 of 7

Dawn,

I saw on the article regarding buttercream transfer that you used a wilton black icing to trace with. Is that already in a tube? I have never looked for pre-made icing in that form on the "cake" isle at Michaels? Is that what you used?

Pinky! icon_eek.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 2:33am
post #7 of 7

I've use that a couple of times. I cut the top off so it comes out of the tube easier. i add just a hint of my buttercream because The Wilton brand is thick thick thick!

It works very well for those having a hard time achieving black.

Yes, it comes in a squeeze tube on the cake isle. Betty Crocker now makes it (available at your grocery store)- works just as well. Don't confuse it with the Betty Crocker writers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%