Help With Creating Cupcake Topper

Decorating By PyRo5190 Updated 23 Jan 2015 , 5:35pm by FlourPots

PyRo5190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PyRo5190 Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:08am
post #1 of 7

So with valentines day around the corner and my love of baking, i thought id do some horror heart cupcakes to celebrate. since Friday the 13th is the day before, i was looking to create the Jason heart (hockey mask) specifically. It'll be my first time creating a cupcake topper and was wondering what i should use to create this topper. I was thinking fondant for the red heart, the black underneath the holes, and maybe gum-paste for the mask? but i also wanted to know what tool could be best for creating the holes in the mask. considering the scale of a cupcake, these holes would be very small. any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on making all of these for a dozen cupcakes around Halloween if my skills improve.

Thanks

M from New York City

6 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:24am
post #2 of 7

Great idea....I love it!

For small holes, different sized piping tips work perfectly.

I would use fondant & tylose myself, or better yet, because it's a cupcake topper and might be eaten...I would try modeling chocolate.

I don't work with gumpaste, so I can't comment on that.

(I know you didn't ask, but I have another tip that might help...if you're planning to "dirty" up the mask and don't have brown petal dust, you can use cocoa powder and a brush...it works really well)

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:26am
post #3 of 7

I use piping tips

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 5:46am
post #4 of 7

like the others said, use piping tips, perfect for small cut outs. I absolutely LOVE your concept. I would go with modeling chocolate, since it is on a cupcake. The flavor  & texture is so much better! MOST people love chocolate, only some like fondant, no one likes gum paste ;)

PyRo5190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PyRo5190 Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 7

OK so i'm getting some ideas about how to do it and i thank you all. i just have a few more questions i'd like to ask. i know googles my friend but sometimes i just like the ideas genuine people here tend to give out.

1. can i roll out modeling chocolate? i only want the mask maybe 1/4" thick

2. should i use modeling chocolate for the mask and heart and black piece that sites behind the mask? or just the mask?

3. can i color modeling chocolate like i can fondant? or do i need to purchase it already int the color needed?

thank you all in advance

M from New York City

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, you can roll out modeling chocolate. It will work similar to fondant, it just isn't as pliable for long. You can color chocolate, just use white chocolate to start. Unless of course you're going for brown or black, then use dark chocolate. Just use a gel coloring. Modeling chocolate is just seized up chocolate, basically. I wish I had transferred my pics to this laptop & I could show you a pic of a cake I made for my sister-in-law. Covered in ganache, with brown, white & turquoise carnations, all from modeling chocolate. It was my first time using it as a medium, and it was a LOT simpler than I expected! I went to you tube and watched a few videos, hope this helps. I am just a home baker, so I'm not a pro, hopefully some of the wonderful pros can assist you better :)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%