Baker Faces Civil Rights Complaint For Refusing Anti-Gay Cake Order

Lounge By cupadeecakes Updated 3 Apr 2015 , 12:28pm by Norasmom2

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 7:26pm
post #31 of 35

I'm morally opposed to infant baptism, but christening cakes are a big part of my business. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 8:08pm
post #32 of 35

I will not do anatomical cakes.  Or Red Velvet.  I have some standards.  Not many, mind you, but some.  I am also fond of the color green, especially if its associated with Presidential portraits.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 8:12pm
post #33 of 35

LOL, Jedi, Indy and Leah. I would love some more of that cake green to come my way!! I wonder if I should put something about being LGBT friendly on my webpage since there do seem to be many people who are opposed to making goods for them?

Alisa555 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alisa555 Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 10:03pm
post #34 of 35

Quote by @indydebi on 3 hours ago

Off subject a bit but the history teacher is coming out in me.  In Richmond, Indiana (my hometown) there used to be a music recording studio, Gennett Recording.  It was one of the very few studios that would sell studio time and allow black musicians to record.  Black musicians came from all over the country to record there, including famous names like Jelly Roll Morton and Louis Armstrong.  Ironically, this same studio also made records for the KKK.  As the story goes, "The only color the owners were interested in was the color Green!"  Sharing the story just to show a business can work both sides of the street.

You make an excellent point....I will be interested to see what the judge decides in the case of the baker who refused to put the hate message on the cake.  I probably would have done the same as her, but I can see that there are obviously two sides - I would not want to be that judge, no matter what he/she decides somebody is going to be outraged. 

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 12:28pm
post #35 of 35

A radio talk-show host set up a GoFundMe page for the pizzeria owner, they have raised over $300,000 for him.  I don't think the pizzeria owners meant to be hateful, they just did not answer the question in an intelligent, thoughtful manner.  Do I agree with what they said or did, not really.   Providing business services to a paid client does not mean you support the cause of that client.   If that were the case, no one would do business.  LOL

I say love and let love and stop fighting over this issue and its terminology.  There are other things we must take care of…CA is running out of water, and never mind religious beliefs, we have people being killed for suspected religious beliefs in other parts of the world, like Kenya.

If you are asked to write something on a cake that is hateful, it is correct to not do this.  It does not hurt a cake business to know the definition of hatred.  In offering the cake at all, she was being a professional.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%