Freezing A Decorated Cake?

Decorating By lara2669 Updated 22 Jan 2015 , 10:46pm by maybenot

lara2669 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Guys,
I have pulled he ultimate mess up and got my dates wrong :-O
I cooked the cake yest, crumb coated and decorated today, was already to go, then the lady said it was next week she needed it! I got my cakes the wrong way round!
So my question is, since being decorated it has been stored in a box, so now will it last until next weds, or am i better off freezing it and then taking it out monday night and slowly thawing it in the fridge?
Many Thanks :)

6 replies
maybenot Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 5:46am
post #2 of 7

Box the decorated cake.  Wrap the box in several layers of saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Freeze.  24 hrs. before delivery, place still wrapped box in fridge to defrost.  A few hours before delivery, place still wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp.  Right before serving, remove from box.  It'll be fine.

This cake was frozen for over 10 days and handled as described above. The flowers were put on by the customer.  No bleeding or issues with the ruby red fondant damask.

benison+cake_9+-+Copy.jpg

rowantree Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 5:48am
post #3 of 7

I seriously doubt the cake will be any good in a week! 

Freezing it decorated will also bring a host of other troubles--How will you cover it in the freezer to keep smells off the frosting? How will you keep the decorations undamaged?  Thawing it, even in the fridge will add smells from other foods there, and if you thaw it covered, condensation can still destroy your colors.

The best possibility for me would be to scrape off the icing and decorations,  separate the tiers (if more than one) crumbcoat, chill to set them up then double wrap with plastic and foil and freeze.  Then thaw in the fridge the night before and redecorate the next day.  If this is all too complicated. Cut your losses, donate the current cake to a women's shelter, or homeless shelter, and start over next week.  A fresh cake is so much better.

lara2669 Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 10:59am
post #4 of 7

Thank you :) 

I took a chance and wrapped it on the board, only box I have big enough is the cardboard box for transport, I guessed that getting wet wouldn't be a smart move. I wrapped it generously, but didn't put a layer of foil on, will this make a difference? x

maybenot Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 7

If you wrapped it in several layers of plastic wrap, it will be just fine.

If the plastic wrap is directly touching the finish icing of the cake, the issue of condensation during defrosting changes.  It's the box that absorbs the condensation, preventing it from going directly onto the cake. Now, there is a great risk of the condensation settling directly on the cake.

So, the process of defrosting must now be done differently.  Since I don't freeze this way, I'm going to describe what I would do, not having done it before.

The night before delivery, I'd remove it from the freezer and remove all of the wrappings.  I'd place it on the counter to defrost, aiming a fan [set on low] on it, if possible.  If you see condensation, just leave it alone--don't touch the cake or attempt to wipe off the droplets.

lara2669 Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 7

Yes the wrap is directly touching the cake :(

I read somewhere about putting it in fridge to thaw slowly first and then on the side for a few hours and then unwrap and leave on the side with a fan....
Its navy blue base with yellow stars all over, so I really don't want running colours :/

Your help and patience is very much appreciated :)

maybenot Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 7

Well, like I said, if condensation forms under the plastic wrap--while it's in the fridge OR while it's on the counter--it could lead to a huge problem, especially with dark fondant.......I'd personally handle it exactly the way I described, given that it's not in a box.......

Hope it works out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%