Recipe For 16 Inch Round Fruit Cake

Baking By ktm1980 Updated 21 Jan 2015 , 4:50pm by Snowflakebunny23

ktm1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm1980 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have a fruit cake recipe for a 16 inch round tin they could possibly share with me?

I have a recipe for a 6 inch round tin, is it possible to scale up a recipe, and if so, how would I scale up a 6 inch recipe to a 16 inch?

Thanks so much for your help!

Kathleen

4 replies
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

I always scale up my fruit cake recipe without any problems.  I don't know what your recipe is, but as long as you bake low and slow then it should be fine.  I baked a 12" square fruit cake for Christmas and it took around five hours, so be aware that your cake will take even longer.  You can wrap the edges with damp towels to prevent the edges over-baking before the centre is done.

You would need just over 7 times the amount of batter ( 7.111....) so I'd probably do eight times just to make sure.

ktm1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm1980 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much!

Does the 7.1 multiplier also apply to the cooking time?

Thanks again for your reply :)

Kathleen

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 5

How long does it say to bake for normally?

My recipe bakes for an hour at 160C, then an hour at 150C, then an hour at 140C, then at 120C until it is done (which is a good few hours).

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 5

I don't believe it would take 7 times the time.  I usually find that they reach a 'critical time' point - I figured that providing the depth is the same, the heat is coming over a wider surface area.  I did a 14 Inch recently and it took a bit over 5.5 hours...my 12 inch is usually about the 5 hours mark.  Keep an eye on it.  Like @LizzieAylett said, damp towels are great to protect the sides.  I also put a piece of foil (with a hole in the middle) on the top as well to protect it. 

I have to also ask...what oven to you have to take a 16" cake tin!!????  That is BIG!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%