Opening My Own Business

Business By agrafel Updated 20 Jan 2015 , 8:34pm by leah_s

agrafel Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 4

I currently live in Northwest Kansas. I am a cake decorator and want to start selling my product. Is it legal for me to sell from home without a license? If not, how do I go about getting one and how much does it cost? I eventually want to open up a full bakery but I know that will take a lot of time and money. Thanks in advance!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 4

Aonly your local authorities can truly advise you -- start with the health department -- look up online for cottage food laws in your area -- if you are in a larger city -- city regulations can sometimes trump state ones

agrafel Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

AThanks i know kansas does not have a cottage law

leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 4

Without a cottage foods law, you will likely not be able to sell from home.  In any event, you must start with your local health department or state department of agriculture.  You should also check with your HOA if you have one, or local zoning to see if a home business is permitted and what regualtions there might be in place for home businesses.  You might also be subject to deed resrtictions or binding elements in your deed.  Check that also.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%