Tappits For Fondant

Decorating By mollysuzie Updated 24 Jan 2015 , 8:03pm by KathleenC

mollysuzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollysuzie Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 12

AWhat is the best brand of tappits to use for cutting letters out of fondant? Any that work? I've never used tappits before, just metal cookie cutters. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

11 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 12

I strongly recommend ClikStix     You can purchase them online from globalsugarart.com and other online suppliers.

Here is a very good video on how to use the ClikStix and how they look:

I recently purchased  BLOCK Upper Case, BLOCK Lower Case, and BLOCK Numbers--$36 for all three plus shipping fees from globalsugarart.com

As a hobby baker (started in 2010), I've purchased all sorts of expensive cake goodies and tappits.  I personally don't have good luck with regular tappits; probably because I don't use them much.  I like the ClikStix because they have an ejector that is a tremendous help.   Fondant letters and numbers elevate the appearance of a cake from "ok" to "wow" and totally eliminate the need to have great writing skills with buttercream. 

Recently I donated 2 huge cakes (two 12"x4" square cakes) for my Pastor's retirement party.  The fondant decorations were fabulous, the cakes looked and tasted fabulous, but I messed up two freakin' *&^%$(*& letters on the handwritten buttercream message.  I wanted to scream and tear my hair out.  IF I had owned the Clikstix, the overal presentation of my cake would have looked like $7 a serving cake.   But....no....... the lettering immediately decreased the overall look to "regular bakery" cake for $2-$3 a serving.

Came right home and ordered them online.  I will NOT make that rookie mistake again!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 2:10am
post #3 of 12

First, Tappits are a brand name.

I have multiple sets of Tappits and like them a lot, although in fairness, I haven't used ClikStix.  I'd probably like them too.

Use a pasta roller to get your fondant really thin - like to the 8 setting.  Then let the fondant dry out on the counter for 10 minutes.  Then press the Tappits onto the fondant, and rap the Tappit on the counter and the letter should pop right out.  If the letters stick, then the fondant isn't dry enough.

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:56am
post #4 of 12

I love my Tappits! As leah_s says, roll out the fondant and let it dry a bit first. I actually cut small pieces and put them on my Tappits and roll again over the letter then flip and tap.:D

sweetdreams2015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams2015 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 12

I have fmn (fnm?) I roll it out thin, allow it to dry slightly, make sure underneath is well dusted then I lay a piece of cling film over the fondant and press the tappit on top of the cling film. It makes the letter instantly come from the tappit, and holds to the cling film which makes it great for putting on sides of cakes also as you're not risking breaking the letter. Just moisten back of letter or surface, place cling film on, and pull back to leave the letter there. Best way I've found, I broke a set Doing it the normal way as it always got stuck :) 

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 12

Novice hobby baker here!

I loathe writing on cakes and have three family birthdays coming up in the next few weeks. I've been eyeing cutters for months and am ready to pull the trigger, I just need to decide on a brand & font.

I don't see any discussion of the Wilton cutters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IE71PNW/?tag=cakecentral-20

It looks like they're 1" whereas the clikstix and tappits are 5/8". I'm guessing the smaller size is more versatile?

I know the clickstix have a lot of fans but I'm probably going to get the tappits because they're a little cheaper on Amazon--I want to order there since I have prime shipping and I know they'll get here in time without paying for fast shipping.

If you only had one font, which would it be? I'm leaning towards the block font but can't decide between upper and lower case. I'm mostly doing kid cakes, current ages are 1-11. I don't love the "funky"/"groovy" and frilly options.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

Novice hobby baker here!

I loathe writing on cakes and have three family birthdays coming up in the next few weeks. I've been eyeing cutters for months and am ready to pull the trigger, I just need to decide on a brand & font.

I don't see any discussion of the Wilton cutters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IE71PNW/?tag=cakecentral-20

It looks like they're 1" whereas the clikstix and tappits are 5/8". I'm guessing the smaller size is more versatile?

I know the clickstix have a lot of fans but I'm probably going to get the tappits because they're a little cheaper on Amazon--I want to order there since I have prime shipping and I know they'll get here in time without paying for fast shipping.

If you only had one font, which would it be? I'm leaning towards the block font but can't decide between upper and lower case. I'm mostly doing kid cakes, current ages are 1-11. I don't love the "funky"/"groovy" and frilly options.

they must be pretty new.  I was looking for one inch tall letters just last year and never saw these cutters on any of my searches.  Having only one font is like only having one pair of jeans, or one pair of shoes, you're going to find that you need more eventually.  A simply block print would be the most versatile.

Cevamal Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 12

Yeah, but I've got to start somewhere! Now I have to decide between upper & lower case. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Jan 2015 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

I recently purchased  BLOCK Upper Case, BLOCK Lower Case, and BLOCK Numbers--$36 for all three plus shipping fees from globalsugarart.com

I like the ClikStix because they have an ejector that is a tremendous help.   Fondant letters and numbers elevate the appearance of a cake from "ok" to "wow" and totally eliminate the need to have great writing skills with buttercream. 

Cevamal~~ The Wilton cutters should work just fine for your upcoming birthday cakes.     Kids between 1-11 prefer large, capital letters because when they are learning to read, that is exactly what they see in school.   There is no way you can go wrong with that set.  I suggest you use it for a while, THEN order something else if you feel you need more options.   You may find that inexpensive set will work for you.    If you purchase in a craft store, be sure and use a 40% off coupon!   

Also, if the letters "stick", use a small paint brush to gently push the letters from the cutter.  Wilton sells a set of paint brushes that work well.

mollysuzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollysuzie Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 3:10am
post #10 of 12

AOk, you all have convinced me to try them! Thanks so much for the advice!

Cevamal Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 12

After I posted I read some reports here on the Wilton set and have decided against it.

I had just settled on the lower case block tappits when I realized that only the upper case set includes the numbers. I guess I'm going upper case!

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetdreams2015 

I have fmn (fnm?) I roll it out thin, allow it to dry slightly, make sure underneath is well dusted then I lay a piece of cling film over the fondant and press the tappit on top of the cling film. 

I also use a piece of plastic wrap between the fondant and tappit.  Even if it doesn't stick to the wrap, it comes out of the tappit cleanly and finishes the resulting letters with rounded edges.  I've used the same method with other cutters as well, mainly for the rounded edges finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%