Home Business License In Pa And Allowed Recipes

Business By PhunCakes Updated 21 Jan 2015 , 9:42pm by PhunCakes

PhunCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhunCakes Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 8

AI am in the process of submitting my form for a home business license and was hoping to get some advice. I searched the forum for this and found a lot of threads but none of them are recent. Hoping to get some up to date advice. Anyone mind sharing how their inspection went in PA? Also, I'm not sure what types of buttercream are allowed. I usually frost my cakes with IMBC. Is this something that you were allowed to produce at home? I use only pasteurized egg whites. What about SMBC?

7 replies
jpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpants Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 8

Hi!  I've had my PA license for 3 years now.  I'm not sure how far along in the process you are but I'll briefly describe how it went for me (in case others need info as well)

First, I set up my tax id number.  Google how to do it, it was really easy. 

Once I had that, I contacted the PA Dept of Agriculture webpage and looked up info for an Application for a Home Food Processor and submitted the application.  I did call with some questions and they were very nice. 

In the meantime, I contacted my township office and explained what I was doing.  I had to set up a hearing in front of the board for a Conditional Use application.  The township walked me through the steps.  I had to notify my boarding neighbors and explain in a certified letter what I was doing.  Then there was a public hearing for the township to make a "yeah" or "ney" decision.  I was the only one who showed up haha. 

Once approved by the township, I called the PA Dept of Agriculture back to set up a home inspection.  They will need to see your township approval on the first visit. 

Inspection was easy, they checked i didn't have any pets, all baking materials were on a separate shelf and my baking area was clean. 

As far as what you aren't allowed to make, I remember them giving me the example of a cheesecake.  Something about it needing constant refrigeration.  I'd have to check my notes but I remember it does explain it in the PA Home Food Processor application. 

PhunCakes Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 8

ADid they ask for a list of ingredients? Thanks so much. You are very helpful! So to sell cakes I need a sales Id tax?

jpants Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 8

Your Welcome!!  I'm  happy to help :)

I have an EIN number.  (Employer Identification Number)

I just reread the instructions from the PA food processor application.  It says, "Generally, any product requiring refrigeration after preparation would be considered "potentially hazardous""

Cakes don't necessarily need to be refrigerated after baking like a cheesecake or a meringue pastry.  The full info is on page 3 of the application form. 

I was never asked for an ingredient list or a list of my products.  I know you have to have an ingredient list should a customer ask for one but it dosn't have to be anything formal or pre printed.  You can simply tell them.   My first inspection I was a nervous wreck, I cleaned every square inch of my space and the guy never even looked at anything.  Only thing he did was check my fridge temperature and ask to see my mixers.  Again, he didn't look at them, just asked where they were.  It was easy. 

Don't forget about insurance.  I use State Farm and it is about $230 for the year.  It will protect you just in case!!

PhunCakes Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 8

AOh so number only, no sales tax? Wow yes I have to look into insurance thanks for the tip. 230 is not so bad. I'm super nervous as well! Hopefully I have everything ready. My biggest concern is the Italian meringue buttercream. I do only use pasteurized egg whites and I believe it is shelf stable for up to a week? I worked in a bakery where there were tubs full of it outside a fridge. Sometimes it would take up to 10 days for us to use a tub

PhunCakes Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8

AAlso what temperature should the fridge be?

jpants Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 8

THey did not ask me at all what types of frostings I was making. 

The refrigerator is at the general setting.  Mine defaults to 36

Best of luck to you!!

PhunCakes Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 8

AAwesome! Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%