How Do You Suppose This Was Done?

Decorating By Cakecrazy25 Updated 20 Jan 2015 , 9:28pm by Cakecrazy25

Cakecrazy25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecrazy25 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 7

I think I know how this was done. But before I try it and my cake crashes to the ground in 50 million pieces I would like your feedback. Thank you in advance!!

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 7

AI would guess dowels to support the layer on top were inserted through each apple and the cake underneath.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 7

Hi @julia1812 ! That is what I was thinking too but it just seems so precarious. Which is probably the reason this images has stuck with me for a year :). I wonder if the bottom of the apples were cut off and sealed some how. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

I would agree that the dowelling runs through the apples and the cake beneath.

I also think that you would have to put some sort of a barrier between the apple and the fondant or else the juice from the apples would I imagine not only melt away the fondant in patches but also discolour it when the juice oxidises with the air.

Maybe the apple is pierced well before it goes on the cake so that it has a chance to dry out a bit and then a little white chocolate?? is placed on the cake or something.

Another possibility are that they are really good quality fake fruit that has had a hole drilled in them for the dowel to run through.

If the dowels are in well and the apples are really inly there to ensure that the cake doesn't tip and not to take the weight of the cake then although I wouldn't move the cake like that I don't think it would be likely to come crashing down.

Very interesting, let us know how you go.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you @bubs1stbirthday for your thoughts. You made some good points. I'll let you know how it goes!

sannalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sannalee Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

The decorator who made my wedding cake has done this one. Luckily he is also my sisters father in law and I emailed him to ask, he said pretty much the same as others, doweling through the apples and the next cake balanced on top. He also said he went through ALOT of apples finding ones with the flattest bottoms.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 7

Awhhh that is awesome @sannalee That gives me some confidence to try it out. I just think it's so cute! Thanks for inquiring about that! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%