Help Please! Whipped Topping....

Decorating By cupcake46324 Updated 19 Jan 2015 , 12:20am by cupcake46324

cupcake46324 Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone! I can really use some help. I am pretty new to cake decorating and I just been asked to make a frozen themed castle cake for my twin nieces. (yikes) I have only been using buttercream and fondant so far but my sister in law is asking for a whipped topping icing. I have never made a whipped topping icing before. I know she is referring to the kind of icing that Walmart uses on their cake or something similar. Can anyone refer me to a good stabilized whipped topping? And how long can it be not refrigerated? Thank you so much in advance. 8O

3 replies
KellyKSD Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 4

When I am asked to do a whipped topping icing -- which I don't personally love but it is like what the stores use and what people are used to -- I use Rich's Bettercreme. I buy it in liquid form, frozen in the carton at GFS. You just thaw it in the fridge and whip it up. I have heard you can get it already whipped, too, but I have never looked for that, so I'm not sure where to get it. 

It is a non-dairy topping, so once it is whipped and applied to a cake/dessert, it is considered shelf-stable for about 4 days, per the package. 

A couple words of caution: I have only ever used this to make pastel-colored icing. I have read in threads before that it is difficult to get bright colors with this (maybe someone else can confirm or deny). And you have to be careful not to whip it too stiff, or it will dry out and get a weird consistency. 

Hope this helps!

KellyKSD Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 4

Just double-checked the Rich's website for stability -- needs to be refrigerated while liquid but once whipped and applied to product can be kept at room temp (less than 80 degrees F) for 5 days.

cupcake46324 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 12:20am
post #4 of 4

AThank you! I will have to look for that here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%