I'm planning a cake for my niece's mad science party. I want to make the cake in the shape of a beaker and place a plastic container at the mouth of the beaker and add some dry ice to create some drama.
Since dry ice isn't easily available at the local supermarkets, I made the dry ice using a CO2 fire extinguisher ( watched a youtube video and it worked ). My question is, would it be okay if the fumes of the dry ice touch the cake? Is there anything as food grade dry ice or is dry ice generally food safe ?
Thanks in advance.
Anyone ???? Please please
ALook carbon dioxide is food safe in its pure state (we breathe it out...) BUT you made this from a fire extinguisher....who knows what other chemicals are mixed in/what the inside of the metal canister is contaminated with....would I serve it....no way. I don't know where you are, have you tried contacting a chemical lab for some pure CO2?
Thank you Winniemog for the info. I managed finding food grade dry ice from a local ice manufacturer. The party's tonight, fingers crossed it all works well :)