How Do I Stop A Bulge From Getting Worse?

Decorating By Julie5 Updated 18 Jan 2015 , 4:29pm by leah_s

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 5:26am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I am just a hobby baker. I've did this cake before and didn't have this problem, but I'm seeing a bulge in my cake. This is a 2 tier cake that I haven't stacked yet. The bottom layer is 6inches and it is 6 inches high. It is basically 3 cakes (that are trimmed to about 1 3/4 inch each) stacked. It's taller sure than a normal cake, but not like double tall or anything, and I've not had to add support in the past. So I'm all iced smooth for the evening and planned on stacking tomorrow for a birthday in the evening and I think I'm seeing what looks like might become a bulge in the lowest layer of cake around where the icing layer is. It's not terrible yet. Maybe not noticable to most, and I'm wondering is there anything I can do to prevent it from becoming an all out blow out? Or is it just a wait and watch thing? UGH!

Thanks in advance. I know the answer is to split the 6 inch tall cake and put support in next time but my time machine is broken;)

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 8:57am
post #2 of 5

AIt could either be an air bubble or (more likely) icing squashing out. If it's air, poke a tiny hole in the fondant and press air out. If it's icing try smooth ot downwards and out. You probably put too much icing and now with all cake levels on, it's bulging because it can't support the wait. Next time put a book or something heavy and level on top before crumb coating etc. After filling that is. And keep it in the fridge do the icing can firm up and is more likely not to squish out. Good luck. P.s. Worst scenario: Take fondant off and cake apart and start filling, frosting etc again.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 4:33am
post #3 of 5
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 5

A

Original message sent by leah_s

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/633571/my-newest-trick There you go.

This has been so helpful to me, Leah. I do this with every single cake I make and no more ugly bulges. Thanks for sharing!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2015 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 5

:D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%