Sheet Cake Conversion

Baking By lillyanne Updated 17 Jan 2015 , 12:43am by MBalaska

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 12:56am
post #1 of 5

AHi. I want to make a 3D car cake and the tutorial I have calls for 4 sheet cakes to be made and then stacked and carved. I am a UK baker and I have never made a sheet cake.I have only ever made Victoria sponge or madeira cakes in round or square. I know sponge is not good for stacking so was going to use madeira recipe as it is denser and good for carving but I have no idea how to convert my 6 or 8 inch cake recipe or how much mixture for each sheet cake, how long to bake or even if madeira would work in this instance. The sheet cake will be 9x13 inches. Or do I need a different recipe? Thanks in advance

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

madeira cake is similar to a pound cake? should be good for that -- the amount of batter you use for an 8" round you would double and add a bit for a 9x13 -- the amount you use for an 8" square you would double less a bit for a 9x13 --

best to you

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you K8memphis. the 4 9x13 that i can see used in the tutorial are very thin prob only an inch so would it still take that amount of batter? although i could do 2 thicker ones i guess. much easier

Thanks again

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2015 , 12:22am
post #4 of 5

the amounts i gave you will bake off the same height as your 8" cakes -- i'm not familiar with madeira cakes

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Jan 2015 , 12:43am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyanne 

Hi. I want to make a 3D car cake and the tutorial I have calls for 4 sheet cakes to be made and then stacked and carved. I am a UK baker and I have never made a sheet cake.I have only ever made Victoria sponge or madeira cakes in round or square. ..................

@lillyanne  may I suggest that you take a peek at this thread and see if the UK bakers have some recommendations, as most U.S. Bakers don't make Victoria sponge & madeira cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/23790#post_7570770

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%