Will Piping Gel Disolve My Rainbow Dust Sequins??

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 16 Jan 2015 , 9:29am by Snowflakebunny23

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone - I was just about to buy a whole load of rainbow dust gold sequins to cover the tier of this cake (after advice from you all a few months ago).  My plan was to make the fondant a suede colour, brush the whole thing with a thin layer of piping gel and attach the sequins.  So about to order the sequins and saw a note to say:

"Please note: Suitable for sugarpasted, royal iced and any dry surfaces.  May be used on a damp surface, but for no longer than approx. 1 hr as they may start to dissolve.  Sprinkle onto trifles, cream desserts, ice creams etc. at the last minute"

I would class piping gel as a damp surface!  So, I was wondering if anyone has used these sequins in this way and if they have had any problems with them dissolving with piping gel??  And if so, has anyone got any ideas for a 'dry' adhesive which could work instead?

Thank you! x

!!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 4

idk -- never used them -- my only stray thought is to pipe on royal icing, let it dry then brush it with water just to moisten the surface and attach them? maybe

you need to test  -- i hope someone chimes in for you

or maybe brush on the piping gel -- let it dry then re-moisten with water or a damp paper towel...maybe 

canacake Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 3:37am
post #3 of 4

AI would experiment, if you worked in small sections of the cake and lightly brushed with water and attached them I would think it would be fine, a slightly damp fondant surface would dry within a few minutes, I doubt they would have enough liquid to dissolve in and if they did get squishy, as the water dried I would expect that to correct itself. I would stay away from the gel because it would take longer to dry and might cause you more problems than a tiny amount of water. Worth testing to be sure before wasting a lot of time a npd product though.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 9:29am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both!  Much appreciated.  I will pop out to the shops and see if I can get some to experiment with.  I couldn't believe it when I saw that little note - the thought hadn't even occurred to me.  I was also thinking I could try brushing the cake with vodka as well - should evaporate very quickly.  I feel some experimentation coming on :-D  Have a great weekend both x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%