3 Tier Mini Cake Support

Decorating By New2CakeIndus Updated 15 Jan 2015 , 3:52pm by New2CakeIndus

New2CakeIndus Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 2:29am
post #1 of 10

will a 3 tiered mini carrot cake (4", 3", & 2") need support between the layers? All layers are made & frosted in a cream cheese buttercream.

9 replies
AAtKT Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 2:36am
post #2 of 10

How tall are the tiers?

In general, you should have support for every four inches (approximately) tall that the cake is...

Many make their tiers that tall and support between the tiers for the tier above...

(the other question is why when I type the word tier does it always look wrong to me? LOL)

New2CakeIndus Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 2:45am
post #3 of 10

Each layer is 2" tall

AAtKT Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:31am
post #4 of 10

By Layer do you mean the different layers in a tier of a cake such as "cake - icing - cake - icing - cake" (3 layers of cake, 2 layers of icing)

By Layer do you actually mean Tier such as a sheet cake has one layer (technically one tier)

If you are referring to each layer being a tier of the cake itself... then I would definitely support between each since they are different sizes and then you will have to worry less about sliding and such during transport... 

leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:35am
post #5 of 10

AYou don't need support, ( assuming the entire cake is 6" tall) but you may want to skewer it into a cake cardboard for ease of handling.

leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:38am
post #6 of 10

AWe're a little confused since AAtKT asked the height of the tiers and you responded with the height of the layers. Layers are stacked to make a tier.

AAtKT Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:43am
post #7 of 10

Thank you for responding Leah... 

Apparently my brain tonight cannot be as coherent as yours in the explanation...  :)

New2CakeIndus Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the replies - 3 layers which are filled & frosted in buttercream, all layers are 2" in height for a total of 6" (maybe up to 6-1/4 to 6-1/2").

Based on the responses above, I will use some support. Is it better to skewer all 3 layers together or do support 4 each layer? Thinking the skewer is the best way to go but want to make sure.

leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 10

I've done many of these in years past.  You do NOT need support in these tiny things and trying to add support will make you crazy.You do not want to cut tiny cardboards.  You DO need to skewer the whole thing through to the cake board just to stabilize it.  Otherwise you're going to be chasing them all over the counter.  You'll understand what I mean when you're into the job.  

New2CakeIndus Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 10

thanks - I did skewer it - seemed like it made more sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%