Italian Meringue!!!! Not Italian Meringue Buttercream !!!!

Decorating By sam20 Updated 15 Jan 2015 , 5:06am by tashakitchencat

sam20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam20 Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 8

AI can find any information on frosting my cake with italian meringue and then applying fondant!!!! And don't confuse this for the swiss italian meringue buttercream there's no butter !! This is just plane meringue (egg whites and syrup) Any answers will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

7 replies
nmstdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmstdas Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 8

Hello

If you mean covering the cake with Fondant and having the meringue under. You can do it. Let the cake cover with Meringue rest for a few hour so it can dry a little and then cover with fondant. Apply a thin coat. 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 8

APlain Italian meringue will be soft though, so it won't give a good finish for the fondant on the outside of the cake. That's why normally a buttercream or ganache are the undercoat, to give a smooth, firm surface to apply fondant. You will end up with dents etc I imagine in the fondant, mind you, I've never tried applying fondant over IM.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 8

nmstas have you done this before? I am asking because after a day or so the meringue does break down and leaks.If I were you I would experiment on a small cake before doing it on something bigger. 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 8

after a day or so the meringue does break down and leaks. That's true.

And if you don`t make it properly, sugar can crystallize back. 

Thick layer won`t work because it too soft @winniemog is right.

Thin layer has a tendency to shrink even thinner.

Sometimes I decorate my cakes with it only works with  rustic finish, not smooth. I use Italian meringue on on tartlets.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 3:55am
post #6 of 8

I am sure it is possible to cover a meringue covered cake with fondant but I can't imagine it would look very nice.  You wouldn't be able to smooth the fondant onto a hard surface like with buttercream.

sam20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam20 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:00am
post #7 of 8

AThank you so much to all of you ! I was aware of the crystallization if it's not done properly. The meringue I do never breaks down after a couple of days unless it's in a humid place; but I was worried that This could Underneath the fondant. I will stick to buttercream and test this idea another time and then I will repost what the outcome was. Thanks

tashakitchencat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashakitchencat Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 5:06am
post #8 of 8

Italian meringue is pretty stable, so I don't think it should leak (unless very hot or humid) however, I think it would be too light to support fondant. Can't say I've tried it though, just speculating. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%