Checker Trim

Decorating By my2boyscakes Updated 17 Jan 2015 , 11:10am by kkmcmahan

my2boyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2boyscakes Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 5:29am
post #1 of 6

Hi

I am making a hot wheels cake for my sons (DS3) birthday party on Sunday. I have cooked the buttercakes yesterday and are in my freezer.

I want to do one cake with a trim of the checker flag look. So the side of the top tier all the way round with checker look.

What is the easiest way to do this? the actual cake will be covered in fondant with blue fondant. (both tiers) but should I do white and black squares and place them all around or should do I do a white strip and paint the black squares?

how would I do the painting?

any tips would be great.

Thanks!

5 replies
MSPANGLER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSPANGLER Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 6:04am
post #2 of 6

AI would do the black and white squares separately with white and black fondant. I don't think it will be as crisp and even if you try painting it.

my2boyscakes Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 6:24am
post #3 of 6

I have been looking online and see the wax paper transfer method.. if you have tried this do you think this would work?

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 10:35am
post #4 of 6

I would use the wax paper method.  Although I haven't tried it, you might achieve it easier if you lay alternating strips of solid black and white on the wax paper to get the height of you cake.  Then carefully cut one column at a time and remove the squares (keeping them together) and turn them around placing them back in the same spot. When you do the first column you will now have two columns of checkered squares.  Not sure if I explained it clearly enough but this would save from having to cut all of the squares individually and maneuver them all around.  I would think it would help to keep the lines straight as well.  Good luck.

my2boyscakes Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 3:57am
post #5 of 6

that's a great idea thanks!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 17 Jan 2015 , 11:10am
post #6 of 6

your welcome….post a picture of the cake when you are done.  It sounds really cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%