This was the first cake I had ever made. It was my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. We decided to make a 4 tier cake. All was going fine until my mother called and said that she was worried that there wouldn't be enough cake. I left the tiers sitting on the dining room table and ran out the door to Marsh (two blocks away) to buy some box cakes to make a sheet cake. When I came back home and was unlocking my front door, my golden retriever walked to the door with his tail between his legs. Oops, was he in the house? I started saying, "Please, let it be the trash. Please, let it be the trash." I came into the dining room and there on my dining room table was one tier completely licked clean!
Wow- good save! We also have a dog that on Thanksgiving several years ago, ate a whole tube of raw Jimmy Dean sausage that was supposed to go into the stuffing..... Live & learn I guess!
How funny! The little pooch just wanted to have a little look-see and a snack! That's a great story. Thanks for sharing, my day is going to be brighter because it started out with a laugh!
That is so funny!! Animals are so unpredicatable aren't they!! Once my cat ate a whole stick of butter off the counter! I guess he thought his coat was not shiny enough! I just love animal stories - thanks!
How funny! Awesome that you still got the cake done in time!!!! So....how much trouble did he get in? It's times like these that I'm not quite so upset that my husband doesn't want pets!
A few weeks back I was working on a fondant cake and had my mat lying on the table with a little crisco on it. I had crisco on my hands also. I had gone across the kitchen to do something else when I looked back and my kitten had jumped up on the table was licking the crisco on the mat.. I just started yelling because I had crisco on my hands also and could not pick him up.. Had to rewash my mat and start all over..
Pets are unpredictable. Our little dog did not actually get into to much trouble. I was in such shock and had to get a cake in the oven right then! I just said his name and he went running with his tail in between his legs!
Oh, that's a good one. I can't stop laughing at that story.
poor doggie..how sick did he get?..
hope it wasn't chocolate..On a serious note, you all should know that chocolate can be fatal to dogs..they cannot process it and it acts as a poison in thier system. If you pets ever eat chocolate, contact your vet IMMEDIATELY AS IT IS VERY OFTEN FATAL..hope all your pets were OK!!
Several years ago--I did a small 2-tier cake for my cousin's wedding. It was placed on the table as the reception was at home. We left and went to the church for the wedding, came home and the family dog ate from the back of the cake. We turned it around for pics and some even sliced the front to eat. I was laughing about it but my grandmother was angry.
my dog loves frosting! i'm pretty sure that if she had the chance she would eat the cake too. haha.
love your story!
My six month old puppy did something just like that. I had 2 8 inch cakes cooling for the next day Wilton course. Went downstairs to play with the kids, DH came home from work and wanted to know if I was making a speciality cake. I laughed said no, why? I went and looked at the cakes all that was left was half moons. I was not a happy camper.