Rose Petal Cakes

Decorating By Japerez08 Updated 15 Jan 2015 , 9:07pm by costumeczar

Japerez08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Japerez08 Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! I am planning on recreating the cake shown in this photo and wanted some quick advice.

Do you recommend putting petals on wet or after they have properly dried? Do you think this look can be achieved with fondant instead of gumpaste? Is royal icing the best adhesive to use?

Thanks so much in advance!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

i would like mine mostly set up so they still have a little give -- i would be making them as i applied them --  i would only use flavored fondant stiffened with cornstarch so that people could eat them if they wanted -- i think it's awkward to give instructions of 'don't eat the flowers' -- i like to say 'eat the petals they are strawberry or raspberry flavored' in fact i usually deliver at least a few extra with the cake -- it's candy

best to you

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 6

I've done a ton of these cakes...I use gumpaste but you could use fondant as long as it's dried long enough to keep the shape of the petal. You might want to put some tylose in the fondant to stiffen it up.

I usually do these on buttercream, but if you're using fondant you could use either royal icing or melted white chocolate to stick the petals to the cake. I'd use chocolate since it sets up faster and holds really strong once it cools off.

Here's a video I did showing how to put the petals on, but it's on a buttercream cake. Just substitute the royal or chocolate for the buttercream and the process is pretty much the same. 0.jpg

Japerez08 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your reply! Very helpful!

Japerez08 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 6

@costumeczar Your video was very helpful! About how many of the larger petals do you think you used?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japerez08 

@costumeczar Your video was very helpful! About how many of the larger petals do you think you used?

Probably about 80 petals total? I'd try to count the ones on the cake you're making and use that as an estimate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%