Pastry Chef Competition And Need Help!

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 14 Jan 2015 , 2:50pm by -K8memphis

shannycakers Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 11

I have been asked to compete in a tri state area cake decorating pastry edition competition. We bring baked cakes and have 3 hours to do a 3 tier decorated cake... everything must be done on site. NOW, my problem,, I use all fondant, I chill me cakes for 10 min before i add fondant... now this competition will have a tiny working space and no freezer.. i will have to ice the cakes, roll out fondant and apply all at once..

any suggestions if this can work for me.. I hope so, I have already committed and in the news..

10 replies
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 11

I'd say start practicing covering unchilled cakes.  I never knew you were suppossed to chill a cake before putting fondant on it, till I came here.

MimiFix Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 11

I agree with Leah and suggest you start practicing your technique with cakes that are not chilled. That way you can adjust for any problems before the competition. 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11

you might want to try a denser cake if you run into issues with your regular recipe

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 11

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

you might want to try a denser cake if you run into issues with your regular recipe

K8 may have given you the win here if they don't taste the cakes! Bake cake flavored bricks and go to town! ;-D

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

K8 may have given you the win here if they don't taste the cakes! Bake cake flavored bricks and go to town! thumbs_up.gif

HAHAHAHA flavored bricks too funny :lol:

shannycakers Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 11

thank you guys! actually the requirements are 3 tiers minimum, i have 3 hours only, and they will be TASTED and judged on looks n taste, UGG!!:( I plan on practicing for sure, just wasnt sure of any competition tricks anyone had.. for bulge and stability when there is no time for settling.

I will have to put in a filling, I was thinking of pound cake, with a delicious filling, but thats not my normal, I usually use wasc. Any ideas of stable but delicious filling for pound cake?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 11

ganache -- if you can keep it warm or whipped ganache will stay put and tastes great

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 11

if you kept your cake cold and the ganache warm -- it's a thought -- you'd have to practice this but if you time it  and carry your items climate controlled it would work -- 

shannycakers Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 11

vanilla pound cake with whipped ganache in middle, then buttercream on outside? My hesitaion in doing everything in ganache is im covering with white fondant on a small area.. and that could go back quickly..

Maybe just use it as filling. Im hoping the judges dont expect something too intricate for flavor because most competition cakes dont get tasted.. but I also dont want to underwhelm them with a simple pound cake..

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 11

ganache just for filling -- then i think i'd do abc made with cream and butter then the fondant -- because you can really hold back on the liquid in the abc and have a nice firm delicious substance --

you could do a simple leopard design in the pound cake so when they cut it they get some more bang for your buck -- or dots in there or something -- but wasc sounds good too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%