What Kind Of Measuring Scoop Do You Use?

Baking By gwensmommy11 Updated 13 Jan 2015 , 4:02pm by gwensmommy11

gwensmommy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwensmommy11 Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!  I am wondering what type of measuring device you use to get the perfect sized and equally sized cupcakes?  I have tried a squeeze bottle but that is a hassle to have to refill every couple of cupcakes or so.  I have also tried a piping bag but that would drip and was hard to control.  

Is there a scoop that anyone could recommend?  

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 5

I use the standard size scoops found in any restaurant supplies store.  My chocolate recipe takes the red handle, all other recieps take the yellow handle.    Either mostly one company makes these portion scoops, or the colors are fairly standardized.  When you look at the sizes, they will make little sense. I believe that they are based on how make of them it takes to fill a quart, (or liter, can't remember).  They are called a "39" or a "12", but the packaging also provides ounce measurements.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwensmommy11 

... I have tried a squeeze bottle but that is a hassle to have to refill every couple of cupcakes or so. 

As @leah_s stated, most businesses use a scoop for portion control. But refilling the scoop each time might be even more of a hassle for you than using the squeeze bottle. Try pouring from a batter bowl if you have a more liquid batter. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 5

The advantage of the scoop is consistency.  Same amount of batter equals same size cupcakes.  And even baking.  I have soooo many scoops.  I even use them to measure the filling between layers.  Consistency!

gwensmommy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwensmommy11 Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you!  I will try the scoop.  I really don't think I will have any more trouble with a scoop than I would with the squeeze bottle.  It seems like it would be easier.  I wanted to try a scoop, just wasn't sure which one to try.  I will go look for them!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%