Need Help With A Topsy Turvy Square Cake.

Decorating By yagen Updated 24 Jan 2015 , 2:43pm by -K8memphis

yagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yagen Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 11:29am
post #1 of 7

Hello!! I just came across this site after searching and reading and not finding all the info i need. I figured i would give it a go and maybe you guys can help me out. 

So i was walking the mall when i saw the pans for topsy turvy cakes on sale and with my daughters first birthday coming up, i said to myself "How hard could be it?" LOL yeah didn't think that through. ugh so now i am frustrated and bummed out that maybe this wont be a successful baking story. 

I bought the small and medium pan and i really just have no idea what to do. I wouldn't want to go and buy all this extra stuff ideally i just thought i would make the cakes, do buttercream frosting and thats it!! 

I've read horror stories of the cakes falling over and so on. please does anybody have any easy recipe/tutorial for me? with as little items to use as possible or things that i will find around the house. 

Thank you guys so much!!!!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 7

if you want to simplify -- and let's face it topsy turvy are among the more difficult set ups -- then just do one tier -- or if you do two tiers place them on separate stands or place them individually on the table --

oh and those pans will bake one side extra done because it's thinner while the thicker side takes longer to bake --

here's a tutorial on round tt made from regularly baked cakes -- it's more information than you need but it will show you how to put it together --

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/71115-demo-topsy-turvy-cake/?pid=969488#entry969488 --

yagen Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:52am
post #3 of 7

AWell since returning/exchanging isn't an option where I live, I got stuck with the pans, thank god they were on sale. But you gave me an amazing idea to do them seperatley!! That sounds like what I will be doing. Also I had read in a few places about baking unevenly but there's lots of mixed results on that topic, lots of people said they naked just fine. Well see what happens thanks for your input.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 7

you could place a bowl or pot upside down on the presentation table -- cover it with a scrunched up cloth or a pretty piece of material that adds to the festivities and put the little cake on the pot --so it's up higher than the big cake -- one way to get a cohesive look --

so if your cake does get overdone -- what i do is after it cools -- remove the crust right away because the moisture in a cake levels all out as it sits so you don't want to re-moisturize the crunchy bits -- then i use a simple syrup splash -- a flavored simple syrup to brush or squirt onto the cake --

simple syrup -- equal parts sugar and water boiled till clear -- cool -- add flavor 

those one year olds got have their special cake -- best to you

ps --no extra charge for one more thouight for you not that you asked -- i think less food color for her and a glazed vanilla pound cake type cake might do well --

would love to see a picture if you want to post

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

you could place a bowl or pot upside down on the presentation table -- 

i would get a pot that is smaller or the same size as the cake board so it seems suspended

yagen Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 6:22am
post #6 of 7

Update on this adventure... did a trail run on the cake to see if i could get them to cook evenly and they did!!! once the surface cooked and the thinner part also but the thicker was still raw, I covered cooked part with aluminum foil and it cooked the other side perfectly!!! so thats my update and also i bought dowels and will try to do the two tiers. will take the tiers separately and set up while there. I have seen lots of videos on how to set them up. Also i love the tips to place them on a pot with a cloth covering it. might use that for sure. well see!! 

Thank you guys will try my best to take a pic and post. 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 7

brilliant move -- awesome update -- keep me/us posted

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%