Where Can I Improve On Time Management?

Decorating By Lfredden Updated 13 Jan 2015 , 2:43am by VanillaSky

Lfredden Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone. I made this cake last weekend for a friend's baby shower. It took about 12 hours. To me it seems like a long time. So I broke down how long it took to get different parts of it done and I was hoping if you have any advice on where I can focus on speeding things up. It is a 2 layer 10" x 4" cake. Here's the breakdown:

Baking cake: 1 hour Preparing ganache, royal icing and imbc: 1.5 hours Mouse and elephant: 4 hours (DH made those) Leveling, filling, spackling (Toba Garrett method), laying fondant: 1hour 45 minutes Quilting, covering cake board, sticking ribbon, 2 hours Plaque: 1/2 hour Quilt: 1 hour

Thanks in advance for your advice!

4 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

Only answer...practice!  Sorry, it's nothing very revolutionary but it does get better with time.  I also find multi-tasking helps.  So I start my ganache, get it in the microwave while simultanously making the royal icing.  If you're making multiple cakes then you can make bigger batches of things but if it's a one-off, then you're just stuck with it.  Make sure you have the right tools to do the job, prepare your equipment beforehand and make sure you have more than enough of everything (better to have too much ganache than be trying to spread really thinly to fill in the gaps) but other than that, you just have to get on with it.  When I first started, it took me the better part of 30 minutes to cover one tier with fondant...now I can do 3 in half an hour and I know people who can go much quicker then that too.  If only people understood how much time really goes into the cakes we make!!  lol.

Beautiful cake btw - I love the little elephant!

Lfredden Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 5

Wow, 3 in a half hour! That's where I want to be when I grow up :D.  I know one of things that slows me down is not having all my equipment in 1 spot.  I live in a small space and I have everything all over the place.  Gotta figure out a way to bring it all together.  Thanks for the tips!

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 5

It's not always that quick but getting there!  ;-)  I found prep is key...making sure I have my rolling pin, sugar, syrup, knife etc nearby saves a huge amount of time...I have a tiny kitchen as well but you can do it (just!).  Keep practicing!!

VanillaSky Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 2:34am
post #5 of 5

AI personally would not make and use fondant, ganache, imbc and royal icing for a single tiered cake. Too much work for me, unless it was a super special cake for a special, special event. I would use either (1) fondant with either imbc to make spackle and for filling or (2) fondant with ganache (no spackle) with ganache filling (I'd add more cream for the filling). Not sure what you used royal icing for, perhaps the piped dots. I honestly wouldn't bother with the piped dots, if that was all you were using royal icing. It does look nice but it's a lot of extra effort. I admit my suggestions might result in a slightly less perfect result, but I'd make that trade-off 9 out of 10 times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%