Question On Sparkly Royal Icing.

Decorating By MrsSpriggs Updated 12 Jan 2015 , 8:08am by MBalaska

MrsSpriggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSpriggs Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 4:21am
post #1 of 5

Hey there. A friend asked me to make cookies for her mother's birthday. She found a photo of cookies that she'd like me to try and emulate. I enjoy making decorated sugar cookies, but I'm no pro. Any idea how I'd get that kind of sparkle on the numbers? I know that many people use luster dust mixed with alcohol or lemon extract, but I've never used it. Would it give that much of a sparkle? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 5:16am
post #2 of 5

AThis looks like "edible glitter" aka disco dust so not actually edible. You can get a similar look but not as sparkly with other actually edible products.

MrsSpriggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSpriggs Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 5:29am
post #3 of 5

I was just reading a forum post on here about disco dust and many said that it is plastic particles, so I definitely don't want to use that. Luster dust won't be as shiny? I will have to compromise.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 6:27am
post #4 of 5

ALustre dust will give a flatter metallic finish. The sparkly effect you see in the picture is a result of the multi-faceted appearance of the particles in the disco dust. There are edible glitters available but they are not quite as sparkly.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 8:08am
post #5 of 5

You can perk up the shine on a painted fondant item by painting corn syrup on it, or a mix of corn syrup & vodka.  It goes on like a clear coat of glaze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%