New To Cookie Baking/decorating

Decorating By RachelC Updated 12 Jan 2015 , 3:42am by Apti

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

So I'm very new to baking cookies for cutting/decorating, so i have a few questions. I used the No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe on here but cut the ingredients by half because I didn't want to be left with so much dough and it not turn out right. 

I baked the cookies, and they looked a bit lighter in color, edges didn't turn brown- I even left it in the oven for a bit longer to cook. I think I may have rolled it thicker than i should have because they came out a bit thick. The picture below shows some turned over (and the nice brown side on the bottom).

I gave it a quick bite and it actually tastes good, more shortbread than a regular cookie (not sure if that's right or not, but still nonetheless delicious).

Oh I would also like to add that I substituted the white sugar for stevia instead (trying to cut down on the sugar intake in our house- wonder if that made the difference?)

One more thing, if you have any comments/tips on a lower sugar, healthier version would be great. A few people in my family have medical issues. 

Any helps/tips/comments would greatly be appreciated. I'm cooling these to ice this afternoon.

7 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 8

AIf you substitute ingredients then it's not the same recipe - you've completely changed the dynamics of it so of course it won't behave the same.

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

AI wouldn't say completely altered it, the only difference is the sugar type I used. I didn't know that granulated sugar vs stevie would cause THAT big of a difference in the outcome.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 8

ABaking is chemistry, and substituting ingredients alters the recipe.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelC 

I wouldn't say completely altered it, the only difference is the sugar type I used. I didn't know that granulated sugar vs stevie would cause THAT big of a difference in the outcome.

Changing the sugar is a huge difference.  Although the science behind recipes and substitutions can become a lifetime study, basically, using fake sugar or butter will always result in very different outcomes. 

Two people in my close family are diabetics and I have, unfortunately, become an expert on diabetic food requirements and the medical science behind it all.  My personal opinion (I know, I know.... this is a simplistic statement that can be challenged...) is that there are no "magical diabetic-friendly dessert recipes".   The closest I've found is angel food cake (thin slice), fresh berries, squirt of canned whip cream.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 8

was it a stevia/sugar baking blend or just straight stevia -- i'm guessing it was the blend -- but either one will change the outcome like jedi says -- it's much more noticeable in something as naked as a sugar cookie --- if you change the sweetener in lemon curd it's not as noticeable --

they look like they need some icing but you did pretty good -- do you think they were well mixed and well rolled out -- some look smoother than others -- and did you use all purpose (wheat) white flour?

i have a few stevia and me-via recipes and truvia recipes on my little bloglette if you feel like wading through a bit --it's not super organized but it's not real long either --

http://k8memphis.blogspot.com/

i've finally learned to love stevia-- the sweet leaf brand is the best -- 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 12:30am
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

Changing the sugar is a huge difference.  Although the science behind recipes and substitutions can become a lifetime study, basically, using fake sugar or butter will always result in very different outcomes. 

Two people in my close family are diabetics and I have, unfortunately, become an expert on diabetic food requirements and the medical science behind it all.  My personal opinion (I know, I know.... this is a simplistic statement that can be challenged...) is that there are no "magical diabetic-friendly dessert recipes".   The closest I've found is angel food cake (thin slice), fresh berries, squirt of canned whip cream.

@Apti with your knowledge of diabetic friendly recipes, how would you rate this new recipe that I just found?  I have a second batch cut and waiting for baking right now. I'm putting seedless jam in all of these today.

Cream Cheese Butter Cookies

6 oz.  CREAM CHEESE, soft

1 cup  BUTTER, softened

8 oz.  BROWN SUGAR

1/2 teaspoon  SALT

2 teaspoons  VANILLA extract

18 oz. FLOUR      + a few oz. more

I'm putting the link on here to give the credit where credit is due  http://www.cookiemold.com/CreamCheeseRecipe.html

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 3:40am
post #8 of 8

MBAlaska~~You know the pricing questions we get here on CC?  "How much to charge for my cake?"   Over and over and over again we all respond that it is impossible to answer that question because we don't know the ingredients, the quality, the geographic location, the market comparables, etc.    (My favorite example is the one from the CakeBoss software site:  A 4 bedroom 2 bath house in NoWhere's Ville, Rural Land may cost $17,000.  That same house in San Francisco may cost $1.7 million.)   We can't TELL you what an appropriate price is, YOU have to record and compute all the factors and find out yourself.

Well, diabetes and recipes and recommendations for diabetics are exactly the same.  Diabetes is a complex disease and will be different for every single diabetic. 

With the exception of fresh foods, fruits, and vegetables which can be quantified as to the amount of carbs per serving, the best "dessert recipe" for a diabetic is one obtained online or in a diabetic educational resource that lists the EXACT NUMBER OF CARBS FOR AN EXACT PORTION SIZE WITH NO CHANGES TO THE EXACT RECIPE.   I don't have the ability to determine the exact carbs for my recipes--that requires a lot more information than I have as a home cook.

The reason I always list my "favorite" dessert for diabetics as:  a thin slice of Angel Food Cake (purchased at a store with a list of carbs per exact portion size), fresh berries (you can determine the exact number of carbs per portion/weight), and a squirt of whipped cream from a can (you can determine the exact number of carbs per squirt)

is because it "looks" like a real dessert, "tastes" like a real dessert and you are NOT guessing the number of carbs in the dessert.

Longwinded, I know....  but, like pricing, there is no "short" answer.   Hope the info helps. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%