How Do I Make This Peter Pan Cake?

Decorating By lizrand43 Updated 25 Jan 2015 , 5:51pm by Jedi Knight

lizrand43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizrand43 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 4:31am
post #1 of 13

I desperately need help in making this cake.  I have googled until my head starting pounding.  Does anyone have any idea how to get the characters and the sparkle drop lines for this cake.  I also need to know who to get the wording on the cake.  Any help is so much appreciated.  I have to do this cake by January 24th, 2015.  Thanks so much!

12 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 5:16am
post #2 of 13

AThe words and characters look so flat it leads me to believe they were stencil and airbrushed on the cake. The sparkley part may have been piped on. I'm sure more ideas will be forthcoming! Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 5:17am
post #3 of 13

Make paper stencils of the characters and either airbrush dark OR use powdered color carefully brushed over the stencils.

As for the drop sparkle - that might be a bit harder.  First thought pipe lines then sprinkle sparkle dust over it  - but it will put dust all over the top unless you are EXTREMELY careful.  Take a dry art brush dipped/covered in dust and carefully touch the wet icing.

As I ask many other who want to copy a cake picture Why is it so important that it be *exactly* the same?  Find fonts on the internet that will give y9ou a similar look and make a reverse 'transfer' - copy them, turn the page over and pipe w/royal icing; let dry, then use that to indent your icing and pipe over the indented marks.

lizrand43 Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 13

A

Original message sent by kakeladi

Make paper stencils of the characters and either airbrush dark OR use powdered color carefully brushed over the stencils. As for the drop sparkle - that might be a bit harder.  First thought pipe lines then sprinkle sparkle dust over it  - but it will put dust all over the top unless you are EXTREMELY careful.  Take a dry art brush dipped/covered in dust and carefully touch the wet icing. As I ask many other who want to copy a cake picture Why is it so important that it be *exactly* the same?  Find fonts on the internet that will give y9ou a similar look and make a reverse 'transfer' - copy them, turn the page over and pipe w/royal icing; let dry, then use that to indent your icing and pipe over the indented marks.

lizrand43 Posted 23 Jan 2015 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 13

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3324276/width/200/height/400[/IMG] Thanks so much for your help. I ended up using an edible printing system for the words and just made stencils of the characters and cut them out. The pixie dust was tricky. After googling for help and got nowhere I finally figured it out in my own. I took piping gel and added silver petal dust then added silver hologram disco dust and piped it using a #2 tip and just dragged the lines with a slanted brush. You just can't image how relieved I felt to finally have it done.'

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 1:01am
post #6 of 13

Your cake looks fantastic!! Great Job!!

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 7:10am
post #7 of 13

ADisco dust is not edible.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Knight 

Disco dust is not edible.

Killjoy. (Pun...)

Jedi Knight Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 13

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

Killjoy. (Pun...)

*snork*

lizrand43 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 13

AAccording to the label on the container it says "edible glitter dust".

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrand43 

According to the label on the container it says "edible glitter dust".

This is a somewhat confusing issue. Many companies use the term "edible" when their product is really classified as "non-toxic" and should be removed before eating.

http://www.nycake.com/discodust.aspx

Disco Dust

• An extra fine glitter with lots of sparkle
  • Developed for the cake decorating and craft industry
  • Disco Dusts contain only ingredients that are NON-TOXIC.
  • These dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such.

Another site states:

Fancy Flours offers disco dust, luster and sparkle dust in beautiful and bright colors to enhance and add great sparkle to any of your baking projects. All of these products are great to sprinkle dry or add to icing or fondant while wet for a more concentrated sparkle. Classified as "non-toxic ", they may be best suited to decorate items that can easily be removed from the cake.  

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 13

ASo luster dust is in the same category as the glitter? Wow, how many posts have I seen with people telling others to use luster dust instead of the glitter - we're all doomed.

Jedi Knight Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 13

AMany metallic dusts are, in fact, 100% edible. You just need to sort out the differences in ingredients, and contact the company if needs be - ask if ghe dust is non-toxic or 100% edible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%