Struggling To Find My Groove

Baking By mcclarygirl13 Updated 11 Jan 2015 , 2:41am by -K8memphis

mcclarygirl13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcclarygirl13 Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 1:44am
post #1 of 10

AAfter many trial and errors with trying to find that perfect cake recipe, I still have yet to find one that works! Its overwhelming now. I've tried mud, sponge, box, and doctored cake mixes. I don't know if its my oven, but every cake comes out sticky. I understand cakes have crumbs but I cant carve a cake without it compeletly falling apart. My question is what's the best recipe y'all have found?

9 replies
saddlebredgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saddlebredgirl Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 6:01am
post #2 of 10

AI use a hot milk vanilla sponge for my recipe. It comes out great. But for all my cakes red velvet, chocolate ect i all use different recipes. All made from scratch i found cakes are much more delicious made all from scratch.

mcclarygirl13 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 12:27am
post #3 of 10

AI've tried a couple scratch cakes, but I don't know if it was a good recipe. I wanna make a teapot cake for my moms birthday. I just need a good recipe so when I carve the cake doesn't crumble.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 12:38am
post #4 of 10

have you tried pound cake? and i do my carving with frozen cake -- that will help with the stickiness --also if the top of the cake is sticky -- it will ball up and you can just roll off the gooey part

mcclarygirl13 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 12:47am
post #5 of 10

Acome to think of it no I haven't. When I put my cakes in the freezer and then cover it with mmf the fondant gets sticky and sweaty. Why does it do that and how can I prevent it?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 12:56am
post #6 of 10

here's the recipe i use:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/cold-oven-poundcake-recipe.html

i can't answer for the vagaries of of fondant but i freeze my cakes filled and uniced -- then ice frozen and apply fondant then store in the fridge -- i usually use satin ice store bought --

it's really kinda cool that trisha yearwood has the same recipe -- i got mine from an old friend some years ago

mcclarygirl13 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 1:02am
post #7 of 10

AOh how neat! :-D thank you for sharing, its helps!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 1:21am
post #8 of 10

your recipe for doctored cake mix -- does it have self rising flour?

and what flavor are you wanting?

mcclarygirl13 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 2:16am
post #9 of 10

AYes it has self rising flour. At this point I don't care what it tastes like hahaha. But id want a sweet flavor. My mom loves angel good cake but I doubt angel good is carvable.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 2:41am
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcclarygirl13 

... My mom loves angel good cake but I doubt angel good is carvable.

yes true not carvable

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%