New In Cake Decorating

Decorating By amyNM Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 11:14pm by melmar02

amyNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyNM Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hi

I have been decorating cakes for awhile now but never to sell. How do I go about pricing a cake? This is one I just made the other day. How much would you charge for this?

thanks!

6 replies
amyNM Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 7

APlease someone help me figure this out ;)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 7

There are many pricing threads already posted on CC. Use the search function to get info on how to price cakes. :wink:  

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Amy :smile:.  Everyday here someone asks this question. There are a number of different ways to approach this.  Use the search bar and enter "Pricing cakes" and you will find many many discussions on the topic.  Ultimately you will have to decide what will work for your area, the time you take to make your cakes and the cost of your ingredients.  The pros on this site are a little tired of answering the question and when you read the threads you will get an idea of why.  Make sure you have plenty of time to read!  Good luck!

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

AHave you costed out your ingredients properly - even down to that last half teaspoon of salt? How much did your materials cost - including all non-edibles such as boxes/boards/supports? How much time did this project take to complete?

amyNM Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

I do add up all my cost and how many hours it will take me to do it. It just seems like so much :lol:

for the cake pic i posted with smash cake how much would any of you charged?

I think i may just tell them the price if they don't like it they can try to find someone else :smile: 

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

Is it a 6,8" and a 6" smash cake all covered in buttercream with fondant accents? I would charge $150 for that with this level of detail (I don't do Mickey/Minnie). If they are covered in fondant with fondant accents $185.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%