Can I Store A Iced Cake In The Garage?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 5:13pm by MimiFix

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 4

Alright so I have a cake order thats going out on Saturday evening...I really dont want to work on the cake on Saturday as I'm having my own birthday party friday evening and think I'll be too tired (ahem hangover) to work on the cake Saturday. So I have to options, would REALLY prefer option #1 but dont know if I should?

Because my fridge will be filled with my party items and drinks I dont want to use the fridge to store the cake at all.  Pretty sure the sangria flavours would make it into the cake LOL But it's super cold here in Toronto (negative 20 atleast) and wondering if leaving it boxed up in the garage would be bad for the cake? I'm think it's almost like keeping a cake in the freezer since the garage is super cold but I've never froze a cake before. I did recently keep decorated cake in the fridge for 2 days prior to delivery and it was fine (but then again I didnt eat it and havent heard back from the client). 

Option #1: Keep fully decorated (swiss meringue buttercream with fondant covering entire cake) boxed in cake box in the garage. 

Option #2: Keep iced cake without any fondant in the garage...so on Saturday I'll have to put the cake together and cover it with fondant. 

Both options would be done Friday morning and order will be picked up Sat evening. 

3 replies
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

AWhat ever you decide to do, keep in mind that if you keep your car, oils, fuel, landmover in garage then cake can take smell from all of it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 4

i do not freeze decorated cake but a lot of peeps do -- either way would work -- the biggie is the thaw needs to be very gradual --

if you slide the box into a plastic bag that you seal up tight it should help protect from errant garage smells -- i double wrap mine and put that in a plastic bag before freezing --

best to you

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 4

Sometimes critters seek refuge in a garage. If you choose to leave food in your garage, wrap it as suggested above and place in a metal box. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%