Royal Icing On Cookies

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 9 Jan 2015 , 11:17am by cazza1

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 5:37am
post #1 of 8

How can I tell if I'm putting my RI on too thick or too thin on my cookies?? I border and then flood, but think I am using too much frosting. Any expert advise is appreciated. I do cakes and fairly new to cookies but love doing them. Thanks

7 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 6:15am
post #2 of 8

There's no rule here, just preference. What makes you think you are putting too much?

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 6:15am
post #3 of 8

Also, I usually border with a 3 tip and fill in

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 1:31am
post #4 of 8

well, now that they dried I can see the layer. Looks ok I guess. Just seemed like I was using a lot of frosting. Think  it may have been a little thick too. adjusted it again. thanks for your help

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 3:04am
post #5 of 8

If you don't want to outline & flood, just put the icing on with a spatula. or make it thin enough to pour.

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 8:11am
post #6 of 8

i am new to cookie decorating and have seen video tutorials of people outlining and flooding, and they flood with #2 or 3 tip i believe and leave some gaps then use the needle tool or tooth pick to fill them in. that way you can ensure you aren't flooding too much. otherwise if could run off the side. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 11:17am
post #8 of 8

Wether or not you need to pipe an outline depends on what you want you bickie to look like and how runny you make your royal/glace icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%