12X12 Square Cake

Decorating By chef2b Updated 9 Jan 2015 , 12:37am by melmar02

chef2b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef2b Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 12:32am
post #1 of 17

Hi.  I have read the different threads about servings, but I am still confused.  Would a 12x12 inch square cake that has three 2 inch layers feed 50 people?    Thank you so much!!!

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 12:38am
post #2 of 17

in traditional servings it'd feed just over 70 -- but yes for the most part it's the footprint that determines the number of servings -- you could get a few more narrower servings out of one that's 6" tall but then they barely fit on a dessert plate --

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

chef2b Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 12:42am
post #3 of 17

Thank you K8memphis!     I was requested to make a cake for 50-60 people, but when I suggested the three layer 12x12, they didn't think it was big enough.  I looked at the Wilton party servings chart to come up with this size. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 12:50am
post #4 of 17

It also depends on what size servings they're used to.  I've known some who might get 4 servings from a 12 X 12.

:wink:

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 12:51am
post #5 of 17

it's plenty big enough -- it's oversized at 6" tall -- people don't realize how much cake there is in a 1x2x6 (traditional is 1x2x4) inch serving -- it's a well sized serving --

and you'll want to consider using the wedding cake chart -- it's never let me down -- 

a 12x12x4 is a perfect size for 50-60 servings -- if they want to serve oversized portions they buy more cake from you -- but a lot of time we do 5" or 6" tall tiers too --

but see for it being taller it's not really more servings -- 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 1:36am
post #6 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

it's plenty big enough -- it's oversized at 6" tall -- people don't realize how much cake there is in a 1x2x6 (traditional is 1x2x4) inch serving -- it's a well sized serving --

and you'll want to consider using the wedding cake chart -- it's never let me down -- 

a 12x12x4 is a perfect size for 50-60 servings -- if they want to serve oversized portions they buy more cake from you -- but a lot of time we do 5" or 6" tall tiers too --

but see for it being taller it's not really more servings -- 

I've made this size once, my first wedding cake, and it was HUGE!!!  agreed with @-K8memphis.

chef2b Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you both so much!!!   I truly appreciate all of your help!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 17

A 12x12x4 cake will serve *72* not just 50.  It is cut into 2"x1"x4" pieces.  2x2x4 pieces would be huge :(

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 12:40am
post #9 of 17

Recently I made a 12"x12"x4" cake for our Pastor's retirement.  I did the cutting in the kitchen and got exactly 72 (1" wide x 2" deep x 4" tall) servings!  TA DA!  (I was very pleased with myself.)

Make sure your cake is on a VERY sturdy cake board!  These are heavy.  I used 1/2" foam core for my cake and it was sturdy enough not to flex or bend when lifted.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 12:43am
post #10 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

Recently I made a 12"x12"x4" cake for our Pastor's retirement.  I did the cutting in the kitchen and got exactly 72 (1" wide x 2" deep x 4" tall) servings!  TA DA!  (I was very pleased with myself.)

Make sure your cake is on a VERY sturdy cake board!  These are heavy.  I used 1/2" foam core for my cake and it was sturdy enough not to flex or bend when lifted.

Demonstrating extreme discipline and mathematical skills with the cutting knife.  Brava!

Apti Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 4:26am
post #11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Demonstrating extreme discipline and mathematical skills with the cutting knife.  Brava!

(As Elvis would say...)

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 11:41am
post #12 of 17

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

(As Elvis would say...)

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

and today he would have been 80 -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ELVIS gby

chef2b Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 17

I can't thank you all enough for your help!   You are the best!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 17

Non-cake people have no concept of sizes.  They can't envision what a 12x12 square looks like.  In the future I would ask how many servings they need and whether they want round or square tiers and then tell them what size cake they need.

For example:

Client tells me they want a cake for 20 people.

I tell them an 8" round cake will serve 15-20 or a 9"round serves around 25.  I let them pick which one they want.  If the choose the 8" round they get charged for 20 slices.  If they choose the 9" round they get charged for 25 slices even though they only need 20.

Apti Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 12:03am
post #15 of 17

A couple of year's ago, a fellow CC member, schwammrs, posted a fabulous tutorial on how to make paper/cardstock "pretend" slices of cake.   These are priceless to show a customer how large a slice actually is on a plate.

"templates for Sample Serving Sizes of Cake that you can simply print on paper or cardstock, cut out, fold, and tape or glue. The templates include 4 sizes:
1"x2"x4" (wedding size serving)
1.5"x2"x4" (party size serving)
2"x2"x2" (standard sheet cake serving)
2"x2"x4" (to show how large a piece that actually would be!)"

the template can be downloaded as a pdf from this web address:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d32aeq3vabk2bzz

Here is a link to the entire thread:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 9 Jan 2015 , 12:31am
post #16 of 17

Quote:

A couple of year's ago, a fellow CC member, schwammrs, posted a fabulous tutorial on how to make paper/cardstock "pretend" slices of cake.   These are priceless to show a customer how large a slice actually is on a plate.

"templates for Sample Serving Sizes of Cake that you can simply print on paper or cardstock, cut out, fold, and tape or glue. The templates include 4 sizes:
1"x2"x4" (wedding size serving)
1.5"x2"x4" (party size serving)
2"x2"x2" (standard sheet cake serving)
2"x2"x4" (to show how large a piece that actually would be!)"

the template can be downloaded as a pdf from this web address:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d32aeq3vabk2bzz

Here is a link to the entire thread:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Someone also cut a 1 inch piece off a 2 by 4 from the lumberyard and then marked where the filling would be as a visual. I think there is a photo in the templates gallery.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%