How To Do This Separator Thingy....

Decorating By Mybearsbaby Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 1:11pm by Mybearsbaby

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 7

AHey yall! I had a request for a cake like this, and I am lost on how to do the dividers. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to get this look, and make it sturdy for transport? I know how to do the rose design, but can't really figure out the rhinestone dividers in between the tiers. Thanks in advance!!

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3318747/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 7

AStyro block/cake dummy wrapped with rhinestone ribbon.

Mybearsbaby Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

AOk, great! Question, though: wouldn't it be hard to drive a dowel through the styrofoam? And would the styrofoam once driven through get into the cake at all? I know these questions probably sound dumb but I really appreciate your help, so thank you very much :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mybearsbaby 

Ok, great! Question, though: wouldn't it be hard to drive a dowel through the styrofoam? And would the styrofoam once driven through get into the cake at all? I know these questions probably sound dumb but I really appreciate your help, so thank you very much icon_smile.gif

Put a cardboard under the Styrofoam and it will keep pieces of it from going through into the cake below.

BUT...as I look at that picture, it looks to me like it's not a separator situation, just a tiered cake with a bling wrap at the base of each tier, then the rosettes piped on really thick. It's hard to tell for sure. I'd just do it with a stacked cake, then you wouldn't need to do a center dowel at all. Even if I did it with styrofoam separators that were 1" smaller then the tier it was holding up I wouldn't do a center dowel. I'd just attach the styrofoam to the cake tier that it sits on using tape or hot glue, then stack it using regular dowels. I never do a center dowel unless there's a really good reason to.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah, I never, ever use a center dowel either.  and you definitely could achieve that design with a taller tier.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 7

I also thought it was just square cakes stacked on top of each other, with the bling ribbon around the cake, then the piped rosettes. 

I would keep each cake separate, crumb coat, dowel each tier with 4 dowels, wrap the ribbon on the crumb coated cake, pipe the rosettes - do this for each tier.

Then stack using dowels or SPS, or your preferred method - done!

Mybearsbaby Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 7

AGreat advice, everyone! Thanks a million! I will let yall know how it turns out :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%