Using Baking Ratios - Butter/oil

Baking By elisaber Updated 12 Jan 2015 , 9:44am by elisaber

elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 11:31am
post #1 of 3

I am reading up on the "sience" of ingredient ratios in scratch baking, as I'm trying my hand at creating my own recipes. The sience of it says that by weight the amount of sugar should equal or be slightly higher than the flour, the eggs should equal the fats, and the liquid (including the eggs) should equal or be slightly higher than the sugar. Then it opens to adding other things on a test basis until you find your perfect recipe.

But I have one question for those of you with experience with this thinking: If I decide to use half butter / half oil to moisten up the end product - would the oil count towards the liquid or the fat in the equation? I know I could try both and see which ends up best, but honestly I'm a bit short on supplies and would love to try and get it right the first time :-D

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by elisaber 

... If I decide to use half butter / half oil to moisten up the end product - would the oil count towards the liquid or the fat in the equation? 

yes both kinda sorta just depends on what you put together --

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaber 

I am reading up on the "sience" of ingredient ratios in scratch baking, as I'm trying my hand at creating my own recipes..., but honestly I'm a bit short on supplies and would love to try and get it right the first time :-D

wait till you have enough supplies -- i mean creating a recipe takes time -- creating a recipe is where you try a bunch of different formulas and wind it down and  fine tune it where you wanna be -- in the meantime read an array of established recipes to compare and contrast the ingredients to eventually glean out your variation -- or box mixes are where you get it right the first time -- if you have those in norway --

do you want a couple great recipes? what flavor?

elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 9:44am
post #3 of 3

Thank you, K8 - I will give both versions a go and see which one turns out the best :-)

Thank you also for offering recipes, but I'm in no short supply of good recipes - I just wanted to try and create my very own for a change :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%