Baby Blue Buttercream

Decorating By newbiebaker1 Updated 13 Jun 2015 , 10:44pm by newbiebaker1

newbiebaker1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbiebaker1 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 4:42am
post #1 of 5

AI have what might be a silly question, but every time I try to make light blue buttercream it ends up with a greenish tint. I assume this is due to the yellow of the margarine I use. I don't like the taste of buttercream with shortening only so I usually use half shortening, half margarine. Can anyone suggest a way to get a pretty, pastel/light blue-colored buttercream without reducing the amount of margarine? Thanks.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 10:41am
post #2 of 5

Ause white margarine which I've never seen available -- but just as an aside my mom told me that at one time margarine did not only come in white they also included a packet of yellow color to mix in yourself -- trivia for the day :)

but back to your issue -- yes you can't get soft blue nor soft pink you get green and peach respectively -- so i avoided taking orders for cake iced in these colors -- if the client insisted i'd explain they'd get an all shortening icing -- if it's just to do decor i just made the blue or pink separately

freesia777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freesia777 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 5

AAnother option if you'd like to experiment and are set on getting the blue color would be to try other shortening-based butter creams. Maybe you would like the taste of a different recipe? Here are two that a lot of Cake Central members swear by.

[URL]http://www.cakecentral.com/a/sugarshacks-buttercream-for-a-6qt-mixer[/URL]

[URL]http://www.cakecentral.com/a/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing[/URL]

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 5

If you drop a teensy bit of violet in your buttercream before you put the blue in, it will take the yellow out.  It completely boggles my little mind.  That said, it's still a song and dance, depending the exact color blue you want.  But you can avoid the green this way, for the most part.

newbiebaker1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbiebaker1 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 5

Adding a bit of violet worked perfectly!!  Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%