Altering A Recipe For Large Commercial Cake Batter

Decorating By mesha1006 Updated 6 Jan 2015 , 7:05pm by Pastrybaglady

mesha1006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mesha1006 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 7

AHello Everyone!! I was wondering if anyone could help me with making cake batter efficiently with my new 20qt commercial mixer.. When I double my recipe to make 10 cakes my cakes and cupcks are coming out gooey and oily looking.. Please help me if you know the answer .. God bless you and thanks in advance !

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 7

Double check your math and ask someone else to do the same. All my recipes went from a 5 qt mixer to a 30 qt, and some were even scaled up for a 60 qt. Only a couple of times I've had a problem, and it was from fuzzy math. Good luck.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 7

yes i agree it's straight up math -- if the recipe you are multiplying is viable you should be fine -- there are theories afloat about some of kind of extra consideration for double acting baking powder but i never knew about it and all my recipes worked great with just each ingredient being multiplied correctly by the same number --

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 4:22am
post #4 of 7

AThe truly correct way to scale recipes is by using Bakers Percentage. Google it.

mesha1006 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 7

A[quote name="MimiFix" Thank you very much! I will try it again and carefully measure my ingredients the next time.. I really appreciate your help [/quote]

mesha1006 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 7

Athank you all very much for your response ! ☺️

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

The truly correct way to scale recipes is by using Bakers Percentage. Google it.

Wow, I that was a really good read.  Baker's math = less trouble.  Thank you Leah!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%