What Flower Is This, An Open Tulip?

Decorating By tommon02 Updated 11 Jan 2015 , 8:50pm by tommon02

tommon02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tommon02 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 10

My client wants this cake and I'm not sure what the yellow flower is on top.  It looks like it could be an open tulip maybe.  And it seems to be made with a cutter that has 3 long petals (or maybe the petals aren't part of one cutter).  And I'm also not sure if the tiny bud and pistols are edible or not.  I don't think that part is important though.  Thanks for your help.

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 10

It's supposed to be a tulip...It has 6 petals if you look closely and it's definitely a tulip petal cutter shape. the center is just a badly done tulip center :). A more realistic one would be done with a longer center and six stamens around it. This could be called a fantasy tulip, I suppose.

Here are a couple of blog posts about tulip centers, the real ones are weird. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/03/tulip-centers.html

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-unwired-gumpaste-tulips.html

tommon02 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 10

Ok great thanks, costumeczar.  Those links are helpful.  You're right, 6 petals but looks like 2 sets of 3.  The top 3 are joined at the center and the bottom layer is offset.  But I see now that I don't need an exact cutter to create something similar or better.

My client also thought this darker color on the cakewas not black.  This cake looks black and white to me.  I told her I can make it dark brown (chocolate) if she'd like.  I'm glad I brought that up.

Thanks again for the info, and I love your article!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 10

@tommon02 That cake would look nice with dark chocolate brown on it, and I love the 'fantasy' tulip on that cake.  Good Luck.

@costumeczar  you're right about the real centers looking weird.  You take very clear focused photographs. And I love your unwired tulips!!!

tommon02 Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 10

Here's how it turned out.  Thanks @costumeczar for the tutorial.  It saved a lot of time and my sanity.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 10

You did an excellent job on the cake!!! Fantastic!!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommon02 

Here's how it turned out.  Thanks @costumeczar for the tutorial.  It saved a lot of time and my sanity.

Very nice @tommon02   the writing on the plaque is great.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 10

That looks great!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 5:30am
post #9 of 10

Very, very nicely done :)

tommon02 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!  the writing was done using a black Wilton FoodWriter Edible Color Marker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%