Thinking About Quitting...

Business By puddles_gal Updated 19 Jan 2015 , 11:30pm by cakebaby2

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 4:21pm
post #31 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

No worries! I thought that the OP had a proper cake business going, I misunderstood the post!

:)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:55pm
post #32 of 41

Good Luck with whatever that you decide. May I say that one needs to make their money while they are young, healthy, and able; while balancing the need for sanity, & caring for your physical & mental well being.  One full time job may be more than enough for most people.

Quote:
".....Like a lot of my fellow decorators on here, I know I'm not charging what I am worth, and I am really resenting that....."

Here's what appears to be the major source of your problem.  I agree that you are hurting yourself to continue in this manner.  Your time and energy would be better spent on yourself and your family.  Life is short and there are no 'mulligans' or 'do overs'. 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 9:44pm
post #33 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i'm so happy for you 810wc -- it's just wonderfully refreshing to hear you enjoying your well deserved time off -- carry on

:roll: Eating toast, drinking tea listening to lorikeets chattering in my back garden and the ocean crashing in ahhhhh!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 10:19pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Knight 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Planning your next life?  icon_confused.gif  

Oh - I'll still be in the biz - I'm just quitting caking. I'll sell all the biq equipment -fridges, freezers, bakery cases, dishwasher, etc, expand the shop to take up the kitchen, and focus on the shop and the classes. I can't wait.

I really enjoy teaching, especially my business classes. I hope you feel a sense of relief, knowing your part in the cake business will be done soon.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 11:51pm
post #35 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddles_gal 

Thank you everyone for your insight! You have certainly given me a lot to think about! I just wish my hubby could see past the money and realize that compromising everything else isn't worth it anymore...

Well?   Have you been able to think through what you wish to do with caking?  It's a New Year and you have lots of wonderful opportunities ahead.  Let us know how you are doing, ok?

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 1:33am
post #36 of 41

Sometimes men are like kids, you have to give them TWO options, something like this, honey I am soo tired lately I think I will quit both my work  and cakes or what do YOU think should I just quit one? Make it a discussion so that the outcome will be peaceful and you will get to enjoy your leisure time without him making you feel guilty.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 3:18am
post #37 of 41

I too am a hobby baker, work 34 hours a week out side of the home.  I have a 18 yr old handicap son that is = to a 138 lb 5.5 1 yr old.  It is very difficult to live or move him, and we do all his feedings, diapers etc.  

So it is almost like having  babies at home.  Plus you add in the sandwich generation with my taking  care of a elderly mom who has dementia  (in a nurseing home but I do her laundry and dr apts, visits etc) /  I generaly only do one cake a week . I know most of you do many more.  I dont know how you do it.  

This year I did raise my prices, and surprised at how many are not even blinking,  So dont worry if they want a 40 dollar cake ...try the grocery store.   I have my hubby help with the dishes since he likes having the additional $ too.  but lol when your too busy to cook dinner ,,,even if your just ordering a pizza out it takes a chunk of that cake profit.    I cut back,  I take breaks,  I take it slow so I can still enjoy it.  If it gets to be too much.  even just doing cakes for family and friends can be enough.    Best of luck on your decision,  ** box your items and dont get rid of them...just in case.... 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 3:51am
post #38 of 41

I say QUIT.  Shut your cake closet and go bake once in a awhile for fun.  If it isn't fun anymore it is not worth doing.  I know that starting a business and building it up is not fun at all, so I am not saying everything is always fun, but in general, life is meant to be enjoyed.  If you really need extra income, there are plenty of other part-time jobs out there that require less stress.

I went back to corporate and I am happy.  I make cakes for friends and family now and they come out far better and more beautiful then any of the cakes I ever baked for money, because I am simply enjoying the process, not thinking about money…yet it's the exact same level of effort.

One more thing, my dear….

before you lock your cake closet, hit your husband over the head with one of your 14" pans. When he comes to, he'll have gotten the message.  :D 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 10:19am
post #39 of 41

lotta good stuff in this thread -- recently' the 14" pan wham-o' by norasmom and 'the give him two options' by sweettooth --

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 3:14am
post #40 of 41

AI just finished reading through this thread again and some of the comments gave me such a good laugh! I'm so glad to have such a wonderful community on here to turn to, and I truely appreciate all of your comments! I have decided to stick with baking, giving it one more year and then go from there. However, I am not going to book myself every single weekend; I am purposely going to schedule "me" time to do the other things I love in life. And if I do get too busy, I'm calling in the hubby to take care of those damn dishes! Lol.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 11:30pm
post #41 of 41

And double the prices like was suggested, that will weed out the users and abusers of your good nature x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%