Can I Use A Royal Icing Design On A Bc Covered Cake?

Decorating By Mary in Missour Updated 4 Jan 2015 , 8:32pm by Mary in Missour

Mary in Missour Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 2:28am
post #1 of 7

Dear Friends, I would like to pipe an intricate design onto a BC covered cake (because I prefer the taste of BC over Fondant or Royal).  Can I do the design in Royal?  How do I transfer the intricate design to the cake?

TIA

Mary in Missouri

6 replies
DeniseNH Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 7

I've always been under the impression that you can't apply royal to buttercream because the natural enemy of royal is grease or oil.  Buttercream contains either solid fats like Crisco or butter as in IMBC so you may end up with intricate images that disintegrate after sitting on the icing for a few hours.  As far as transferring royal designs to a cake you can always create them on slightly greased and I do mean slightly, waxed paper then take a length of sewing thread in both hands and wiggle the thread under the design (after it's thoroughly dry) to get it off of the waxed paper and apply with a tiny dab of fresh buttercream - or if attaching to fondant, a tiny dab of fresh royal.  But your best bet is to make an impression mat out of a square of clear glass - pipe the design onto the glass with royal and let dry.  Then impress the design gently into the buttercream and then pipe over it with fresh buttercream.  Hope this helps.

Mary in Missour Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you, Denise, for your very thorough reply.  I am grabbing the sewing thread now!

Callicious Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 10:44am
post #4 of 7

AI agree with Denise. Also, if I'm unsure when starting something new, I tey it out on a sample piece first. I can't see why the royal icing would not adhere so sure it would be ok, as long as buttercream is not too soft I wouls have thought xx

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 7

Ayou can straight up pipe royal onto buttercream -- you can add dried royal to bc iced cake -- lace points are a good example --

you can spray/wipe fat on the paper then wipe it off so there's just a film and your pieces will release perfectly with the slightest tension by just picking them up --

where you run into problems is when you do transfers the royal cracks -- and if it is suspended over BC it can break down in one spot and collapse the piece--

so you'd want to free hand your design or make patterns of larger sections -- say if it was a paisley pattern -- cut out the larger 'amoeba' shapes -- trace them on the cake then fill in with all the intricacies of the design

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 7

Abut i mean i pipe hearts onto half a paper towel roll so they dry curved where when applied only the top & bottom of the heart touch the side of the cake when they are applied -- and they hold fine -- they are covered with drop flowers -- no worries -- it's sturdier than it seems

Mary in Missour Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you from THIS side of the Pond. :grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%