My Cake Is Too Tall!

Decorating By sugar fantasy Updated 8 Feb 2015 , 9:28am by sugar fantasy

sugar fantasy Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 7:29am
post #1 of 5

APlease help! I must have had a brain fart when mesuring the height of my cakes before I covered them. Now I have one cake a good 2.5 cm taller then the other they are supposed yo be the same and are going to sit next to each other so its quite obvious! Can I cut it from the bottom now its already covered??? I didnt notice til I put then next to each other!!

4 replies
bubs1stbirthday Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 8:59am
post #2 of 5

Depending on what they are covered with (buttercream/fondant) and what decorations are on there have you got something that you can use to build the shorter cake up with? Seems to me that it ill be a cleaner rand easier option than trying to neatly cut down an iced cake.

sweettooth101 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 1:24am
post #3 of 5

Why not place the shorter cake on a vase or wine glass or some kind of stand.

RedneckHippie Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 1:02am
post #4 of 5

Just noticed this is from a couple-or-three weeks ago.  I'll leave my reply below, but have to ask now - did you try it?  Did it work?  If so, I'd love to know how you did it.  

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I like SweetTooth's idea - putting the shorter cakes on stands.  I bet it'd make for a much more interesting display if they were all at different levels.  Can you do that?  How about putting the taller cake behind the shorter one, possibly adding some kind of tall-ish decoration to match a shorter decoration on the shorter cake?  It'd look intentional then.

If not, I'd think you could cut it from the bottom with a good, sharp cake leveler, though I've never tried.  If I were in your shoes and the above suggestions would work, I'd give it a go.

sugar fantasy Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 9:28am
post #5 of 5

AI totally forgot I wrote this here. I took a deep breath, made a cup of tea and thought about my problem before I did anything rash. I knew that I was going to be putting a thick ribbon around the base of both cakes. So with the shorter cake, I made a sausage of fondant, make it in a slightly smaller round shape to the bottom of the cake, and rested the cake on that. I covered the gap with the ribbon, so it was hanging below the actual cake and no[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3328210/width/200/height/400[/IMG]one would have know until it was cutting time.

Original message sent by RedneckHippie

Just noticed this is from a couple-or-three weeks ago.  I'll leave my reply below, but have to ask now - did you try it?  Did it work?  If so, I'd love to know how you did it.  

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ I like SweetTooth's idea - putting the shorter cakes on stands.  I bet it'd make for a much more interesting display if they were all at different levels.  Can you do that?  How about putting the taller cake behind the shorter one, possibly adding some kind of tall-ish decoration to match a shorter decoration on the shorter cake?  It'd look intentional then.

If not, I'd think you could cut it from the bottom with a good, sharp cake leveler, though I've never tried.  If I were in your shoes and the above suggestions would work, I'd give it a go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%